OLD MAX VS. NEW MAX
May 19, 2004 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jfalford

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone out there had the opportunity to do a comparison between the pre 2001 version of the max and the most recent model ? I would be interested in any sonic differences especially as they relate to the senn 650s. In addition, what would be the reasons for differences if they occur and are there parts differences that could be upgraded to bring the lesser unit up to snuff? I know this is a lot of questions but as far as I know that is the only way to get answers. Thanks, John
600smile.gif

May 19, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 13
This doesn't quite address your question, but I heard the post 2001 version of the Max with Senns 600's and didn't like it at all. I wasn't crazy about the Blockhead either. I find there's no synergy with this combo. So, unless you heard how either version of the max sounds with the Senn's and you like the combo, don't buy it blindly. Listen for yourself and decide.

May 19, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 13
I have the pre 2001 max and the 650s already. I was just wondering if there were any differences that might warrent a parts upgrade, tune-up or the like or even if this was possible. Thanks, John

May 19, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 13
I really don't know. However, you can probably shoot a PM to Tyll at Headroom. Or give them a call. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to answer your questions. They're really good in that regard.

May 20, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfalford
Is that power supply a significant upgrade over the one in the old max.

According to Headroom, No. I asked them the difference between an MOH-R and the new Max and they said, "The difference between the two is the Max has custom wound Avel Lindberg transformer and machined aluminum front and rear panels. Pretty hard to hear the difference."

May 20, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 13
Bifcake,

Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
This doesn't quite address your question, but I heard the post 2001 version of the Max with Senns 600's and didn't like it at all. I wasn't crazy about the Blockhead either. I find there's no synergy with this combo. So, unless you heard how either version of the max sounds with the Senn's and you like the combo, don't buy it blindly. Listen for yourself and decide.

Huh? This is puzzling. Aren't those top of range headroom amps built especially for the HD 600s? Weren't they voiced with the HD 600s at Headroom labs during development phase?

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

May 20, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Bifcake,

Huh? This is puzzling. Aren't those top of range headroom amps built especially for the HD 600s? Weren't they voiced with the HD 600s at Headroom labs during development phase?

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

I personally like the sound of the Headroom amps with the Senns(HD-600). Not only the high, reference, models, but also the intermediate ones, like the old "Premium." Incidentally, the MOH(R) is quite a fine amplifier, very refined sound. I haven't heard The Max though (Will at the NYC meet). Ultimatedly, it is up to the listener's impressions (short or long-term), musical preferences and (IMHO very importantly) source, whether a specific amp hits the spot.... I have found that the MOH(R) really puts out whatever the source brings to the table. I wonder if the reluctant listerners have experienced a bad synergistic source
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Bifcake,

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

I'm sure they have been voiced and there are quite a few people who like the combo. I just happen to be one of those people who doesn't like the combo. I was very disappointed when I heard it. I expected to be enthralled and I wasn't. It didn't sound musical to me at all. Hence, my suggestion to listen to the amp with the headphones before buying to make sure that you like the combo.

May 20, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Not according to Tyell, he said the HeadRoom gear is voiced to be flat not for any one headphone.

May 20, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 13
I owned an older version MAX, and have heard several newer models. I find the older MAX to be warmer/darker than the newer version. The older models don't have brightness control, which is a nice feature with crossfeed engaged (it impacts the high-end somewhat). That said, both are nice amps. I liked my MAX a lot. Like most things (especially without the brightness control), it is better with certain cans. I thought it an excellent match with the AKG K501, but not so much so with the Sennheiser HD600.

Just my $0.02...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back