Old Itunes library at 128
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

LeeMark

500+ Head-Fier
Having built my library up from my CDs (around 1000) I imported them at 128 before I knew the importance of using a higher rate like 256. I also have a bunch downloaded from itunes. Now, with my equipment, how stupid shoudl I feel. Should I only import at 256 or 320 for now on etc. I am a relative newbie regarding this so any advice is appreciated. And speak very slowly!

Thanks in advance
Lee

Mar 27, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 14
You have a VERY nice home setup. Regretably, you are going to have to re-rip your collection, just like I did over the winter holidays this year.

I had exactly the same scenario - a large collection of MP3s built up over time, right back to the beginning of the MP3 wave becoming mainstream.

It was a major grind and tedious, but 400CDs later I have a fantastic and flexible (and mostly future proof) resource to work with as my gear evolves.

A small amount of bought music both non-DRM MP3s and iTunes AAC 128 and + lives in and amongst the library (things I couldn't or chose not to get on CD)

Bite the bullet, it's hugely worth it in the end,

Paul

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 14
If you're going to rerip your entire cd collection, go for the perfectly future-proof lossless (flac, alac) or at least 320kbps mp3 if you must use MP3s. I'm guessing you'd rather not rerip the entire collection yet again...

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 14
This is like asking a question where you regrettably know the answer already. Can anyone tell me what the difference in size between a regularly ripped CD vs a CD ripped in lossless fashion ALAC etc.? In other words how many new hard drives do i need?
Lee

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 14
I re-did everything in ALAC - each track is about 10x the MP3 equivalent in 128. CDs are therefore in the 300-400MB range so you need a bit of storage. But, as I said, well worth it and future proof to a high degree...

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by phheld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I re-did everything in ALAC - each track is about 10x the MP3 equivalent in 128. CDs are therefore in the 300-400MB range so you need a bit of storage. But, as I said, well worth it and future proof to a high degree...

On average you should be able to store 3 CD's in one gig of memory using Apple Lossless. So do the math and I would allow at least 100 gigs of free space to allow the collection to grow.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 14
Another stupid question, if I rip in lossless thru itunes does it replace the aac files already there? Obviously the lossless is for playing thru the computer and DAC, as it won't be good for the ipod. Right?

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 14
No, unless you elect to have it do so (I believe it will ask you, if memory serves). That's assuming you re-rip, and not convert.

And no...it's not a stupid question.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 14
I still have about 300 CD's I haven't bothered ripping, and I have a 500gb External drive for iTunes with only 100gb free.

I currently rip new CD's in either 320kbps MP3 if the CD is new age or electronic or pop, and ALAC if it is Live, Jazz, or has a lot of atmosphere and ambience that I don't want to get lost. I have to decide between 320kbps and ALAC because I like to use 8-16Gb ipods and not just my 80gb iMod, and 320kbps is more attractive with am 8gb nano LOD to amp. 99% of the time 320kbps is fine.

Once I get my 1Tb external drive, then I will rip two copies of new CD's, one in 320bps which means 10 CDs fit in a Gb on the ipod, and the other in ALAC for about 3 CD in 1GB. So, with both resolutions ripped it will about 4-5gb on the 1Tb drive for 10CD in both formats.

So the extra 500gb will hold about 1000 CD, and the other 500gb is for my movies and TV shows, and that should last for a while before I buy another drive. I have over 200gb of movies, and many of them I have ripped from DVD in three sizes 320x240 (239mb), 480x208 (475mb 500kbps), and 720x480 (1.5gb 1800kbps), and another 550 TV shows (including the free ones iTunes gives out each week)
eek.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm using a mix of lossless and lossy on the actual ipods. As addict suggests, it easy to set up what you need/want given the storage capacity today.

I'm using 2 main ipods at the moment. a 40G 4th gen and a brand new 80G Classic.

The 4th Gen definitely has superior sound when I use it in a A/V-speaker setup over a good quality cable. It is distinctly better. On this ipod, I have only lossless at the moment but can only fit about 80 CDs worth. I am in the middle of doing a library copy and mass conversion to AAC 320 for this ipod specifically. That way, I can have everything on this better sounding machine with minimal loss. The AAC 320 files sound very good. I usually have difficulty distinguishing them from ALAC when played from the ipod through the ipod's DAC. On my server, I can more readily tell the difference most of the time (and storage for the ALAC files is of course not an issue).

On my Classic I have a mix. ALAC and other formats, with room to spare. That's really my travel and on-the-go ipod, so over buds I'm less fussed about the SQ

thx

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another stupid question, if I rip in lossless thru itunes does it replace the aac files already there? Obviously the lossless is for playing thru the computer and DAC, as it won't be good for the ipod. Right?

One thing you need to be careful about is the album attributes. I re-ripped to ALAC myself. If for instance, the genre tag for your lossless files differs from that of your AAC files, the computer will keep both versions, assuming that these are different files.

Also, lossless will work through your iPod (not the shuffle, though).

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for all the advice. i do want to keep both files, as I will mainly use my ipod for its portability and I like to have most of my music with me. Maybe I will end up getting the 160 gb version and use AAC 320 kbps ripped songs for that (I was told around 10 cds per gb). I am ripping some ALAC cds now and it is really quick. I bet I will just use these for when I am at the desk and keep the ALC ripped cds as a separate playlist. And keep them as archives. However, how do you people who use this as our itune library do it, on you main computer at home or server? My lapotp has nowhere near the capacity to keep higher grade songs on it.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your files are apple lossless you can intruct iTunes to load them into your iPod as an MP3, you choose the kbps.

I though iTunes can only do that for the shuffle. What about nanos and such? Tell me more please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back