Old Headroom Desktop Module vs. Newer Ones
Feb 17, 2006 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anilan

Head-Fier
I was just checking out the modules page at Headroom and I thought to myself... how does the old desktop module in my Cosmic (older version; has 3 switches on the front; no LED) compare to the newer ones?

I'm asking because I want to get the Micro DAC and people say pairing it with the Micro Amp is "pure bliss", and since there's the option to upgrade the Micro Amp to the Desktop Module I wanted to know how it would compare to the Cosmic.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
HeadRoom Module Archive Thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=136059&page=2

Go straight to post 25 and on.

I wish they would give me a sticky, but alas...

Anyway, your Cosmic doesn't have a 'Desktop' module. It has either a Standard, Premium or Reference module. The exact configuration of the module depends when the amp was made. On the back of the amp, in the white square, what letter is there? (there might not even be a white square - if anything, there will be S, P, or R, and if it was the 2004 revision it will say S04, P04, R04). If you can ID it for me, I can direct you to my comparison and maybe answer a few questions. If you can't ID it from looking at the back of the amp, if you are feeling adventurous you could take out the main board (very easy to do on the Cosmic) and visually compare the module to the photographs in the archive thread.

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi, TheSloth

Thanks for that post. There wasn't anything on the back (except Headroom info) so I opened it up and I tried comparing it to your images but it doesn't seem like it matches any of them.

So, I took a picture.

I think it's the Standard module.
Also, in the corner of the board on the component side, it says "Rev D".

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 10
Oh, what a gem! That's ancient! Look at all of those oh-so-sweet-sounding ceramic resistors and capacitors
tongue.gif
. How old is your Cosmic? That is almost certainly one of the original HeadRoom Modules, pre '97! Can you see what the opamps say on them? I can just make out the OPA275, which is the dual opamp used for the crossfeed circuit. What are the other two. I'm guessing OPA604, but you never know...

There is a BIG difference between the sound of that module and the current modules. Even the Micro Module should be a siginifcant upgrade, but of course go for the Desktop Module if you can. OTOH, if you love your Cosmic, why not just get the module changed? That way, the guys at HeadRoom can send me that old module that's currently in yours to add to my collection!

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Wow, I didn't realize it was that old
eek.gif
I don't know when it was made, sorry. However, the other 2 opamps seem to be BBOPA627AU9984. It's really tiny and a little faded, but I'm sure that's it!

Though, in a way, I wish you hadn't said "BIG" and "significant" difference, nor should I have posted about this! Now I'm tempted to upgrade!

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 10
In that case, it's not a Standard Module at all. It's either a Premium or Reference. The Standard used OPA604's. It can't be older than 1997, as that's when they started to use the 627's, which are still arguably the best opamps around and used in the current Max Module (not that using the same opamp means a huge amount in terms of SQ in this case). It's not actually such a bad sounding module (if you look at the design, it's only marginally different to the pre '04 premium and reference that I have). I'm guessing it's the module that was introduced alongside the original Max.

edit: I might take back 'big' and 'significant', now that you have told me what the opamps are. A Micro Module would be more of a crossgrade, but a Desktop Module would definitely be an upgrade. How 'big' or 'significant' really depends on your source, cans and ears!

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 10
You could do it visually, but neither of us have a frame of reference. The difference between the premium and reference modules at that time was simply component quality. The Standard Module had a different, lesser sounding opamp. The Premium and Reference had the exact same design, with the Reference just having better capacitors and resistors, which tend to look different by being a different colour or having different lettering on them. I did actually send that pic to Jamey (HeadRoom product manager), so we'll try to ID it for fun anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back