Old headphones vs new headphones
Sep 23, 2003 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sgraphics

Head-Fier
Ok, i've been lurking here for some time and theres one thing that is bothering me.

Most of the headphones recommended here are older... its like when I call any retailer here, they say oh this and that model is not on sale anymore.

A few examples being HP170 vs. HP 250, ksc-35 vs ksc-50, sony v6 vs. ALL new sony models, grado sr60 (that is really hard to find). And there are other exampls.

The salesman asked me why do I want such old models when there are new ones out. I said because companies tend to use the same design but cheaper materials on new models (ksc-35 vs ksc-50 for example). Is that it?? Is hp250 worser than HP170, what about HP170 vs hp840 because I could afford HP840's but here you recommend HP170's that are on sale nowhere? Am I just a confused teenager?
cool.gif
confused.gif

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Is more of an mass market vs audiophile headphone. Quality headphone is a very nich market. It's much smaller than audiophile speakers. Sony, Phillips, and in Koss in your example are more mass market oriented business. And believe it or not their first criteria to develop and market headphone is not sound quality. Because most average joe care less about sound quality. I still cannot understand how the hell my sister lisent to 128 kps download mp3. God it hurt my ears.

And for old headphones there is a saying if it's ain't broken don't fix it. But don't get mislead about the old vs new. Older crappy headphones are still crappy today is just that we forget about them very fast.

As for where to buy them well the grado more known to audiophile store. So try to call some of the local audiophile store. they may have some. As for the philips I have no idea I'll let someone else comment because I'v never seen them anywhere.

That why a lot of us in the end turn to internet.

Sep 23, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Some older models have become time-tested classics (e.g. Sony MDR-V6/7506, Grado HP-1000). Others have disappeared into history (Stax SR-34 was once a Stereophile "Class B" recommended headphone, I think in the 80's and early 90's... mostly forgotten now).

I think there are various reasons why some cans become classics (even when discontinued) and others are forgotten. Continuing availability is definitely one factor, so cans that are built like tanks (Grado HP-1000) are still alive and kicking -- the same as with other "vintage" gear. A lot of cans recommended here are definitely still for sale tho... Grado, Sennheiser, Sony being the top three brands you see around here. Most around here are interested in sound quality first, so even if a headphone is hard to find it doesn't matter... somehow we find
wink.gif

P.S. Grado SR series is available everywhere in the USA, but I think more difficult to find worldwide.

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Many companies update their cheaper, mass market phones not to improve sound quality but to make them look more attractive and to manufacture them for less money. In contrast most headphones targeted at the audiophile market stay around for at least ten years (!) and usually stay in production for years after the manufacturer replaces them with something even better. The salesman you talked to obviously knew nothing about headphones. I would doubt they even know what Grados are.

Sep 23, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Grados are easy to find on the Web if you can't find a local retailer, but of course there's the whole "international shipping" problem.

I thought the Sony 7506 (the "pro" version of the V6) was still in production, though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back