Old HE60 review: Discuss
Sep 10, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #31 of 45
I heard the SRM-1/MKII coming my way is basically just like the SRM313 except it has one pro, one normal output, and it heats up class A like a mofo. Lan's HE60 sounded just right for me on a KGSS, but not pleasing on the HEV70.

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #32 of 45
The HE-60 has taken over the O2 as my primary headphone. While some added warmth might be nice, the clarity and detail is fantastic.

Evertime I switch between the HE-60 and the O2, I say, holy crap, that sounds good.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
Could you look at my thread here

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132987

That's typical stax amp size.. That enough clearance for your vertical stax type KGSS?

The gap is 3cm above the 313.. with plenty of space around the sides.

It has no vents, and barely gets hot, aside from when i turn on my 8000S speaker amp below (this gets it real hot as that amp gets hot naturally, but i only have it on for an hour or so at a time sometimes)

I'm afraid there is not enough space. 313 is 10 cms H plus those 3 cms : 13 cms heigh.

My amp is 13.3 cms, so there is not enough space. However a standar KGSS from Headamp is 10.3 cms with lateral ventilation so it should be fine (no black gate caps though). You might want to check it by asking Justin at Headamp.

Good luck.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Thanks guys for the linkage.

I don't think Eric343 is making adapters any more.. he was selling off some of the parts needed to make them i'm sure in one thread.

So everyone who talks about their KGSS is talking about the standard solid state amp, or the hybrid one??! Again they have two knobs for left and right channels.. the HEV70 has something like that to a point, i've yet to try altering it as i think it sounds about right already.. at least it turns both at the same time in normal use, seperate dials would frustrate a little bit, though i know most people manage easily enough.

I've heard of Rudistor amps.. never heard anything about their electrostatic range.

To be honest the SRM-007t amp has one thing going for it, that its formfactor looks a lot smaller than all the others.. i like that the HEV70 is small too as i dont think i have the rack space for the bigger (and heavier?) amps, where as the 007t doesn't look that much wider than the HEV70, if a bit taller.

Rudi does have 2 electrosatic amps that can have both the connector for the HE60 and the Omega IIs. I know, I have one on order with both the connectors.

Here is the link for them

http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/electrost.htm

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The HE-60 has taken over the O2 as my primary headphone. While some added warmth might be nice, the clarity and detail is fantastic.

Evertime I switch between the HE-60 and the O2, I say, holy crap, that sounds good.

I only did listen to the O2 in a meeting and I they did sound good indeed. I think the HE60 might have the edge on "fidelity" (hard to put in words) while the O2 might be a bit more warm and "enjoyable" (for my tastes, of course). Obviously I need several listening sessions with O2 at home in order to confirm this.

Maybe is just that my Kimber Select KS1130 are a bit cold for the KGSS-HE60, but on the other side I'd say the Apogee MiniDAC is a warm source... I'm afraid I'll have to play a bit in order to get a good sinergy.

I think I'll go for the O2s. I might like the HE60 more at the end... and that money could help me to feel the fuzz of the EMP + PS1s... Decisions, decisions...

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I only did listen to the O2 in a meeting and I they did sound good indeed. I think the HE60 might have the edge on "fidelity" (hard to put in words) while the O2 might be a bit more warm and "enjoyable" (for my tastes, of course). Obviously I need several listening sessions with O2 at home in order to confirm this.

Maybe is just that my Kimber Select KS1130 are a bit cold for the KGSS-HE60, but on the other side I'd say the Apogee MiniDAC is a warm source... I'm afraid I'll have to play a bit in order to get a good sinergy.

I think I'll go for the O2s. I might like the HE60 more at the end... and that money could help me to feel the fuzz of the EMP + PS1s... Decisions, decisions...

You just about hit the nail on the head. The O2 is more warm and liquid - the problem is that sometimes it sounds boring from lack of drive or PRaT. The HE-60 is also a bit more unforgiving due to its brighter nature. A warm source helps here. My Meridian matches well with the HE-60 but I think its a bit dull for the O2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I think I'll go for the O2s.

Go for it
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #37 of 45
My OmegaIIs are latest can atm so getting all the attention..

they are fantastic cans to my ears.. they have more details than HE60 to me from (bad) memory.. should be getting an adapter soon to drive HE60's from the 313 as well, simultaneously.. so then i'll be able to compare..

From memory i think the HE60 (+HEV70) did violins and stuff that little bit more real.. the thing is the Omega II have this whole deep soundstage thing going on.. its addictive on some stuff but i imagine that it could be read as a reduced detail if the sound you were zooming in was put further away by the omega IIs.. the HE60's never did this for me with the HEV70... dunno if its a feature of the Omega II or 313..

The bass power, lowness of the omega's is a pleasure.. it is a detailed can but its also able to play nearly anything without sounding bad.. to my ears anyways.. this is a great thing to have.. something the DT250 is best in my ears at work.. i can listen to anything.. the HD600s aren't too bad, they reject few things.. but my other cans start to not be as happy with more and more badly recorded stuff...

Am listening to jagged little pill at the moment and its sounding great.. i was expecting it to be a bit harsh..

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #39 of 45
Y'all need some pics for this thread.

HEamp.jpg

HE.jpg

I believe these were HE60's and that is an HEV70 next to it.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurus
Rudi does have 2 electrosatic amps that can have both the connector for the HE60 and the Omega IIs. I know, I have one on order with both the connectors.

Here is the link for them

http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/electrost.htm

Interesting. Please post your impressions. I was considering that amp too.

I couldn't go that way as I was needing a SS amp. I went for so many extras that at the end the KGSS was more expensive than the Egmon Signature, but I'm moving quite often and small, easy to carry stuff is preferrable.

That Egmon has to be good and is so nice... Got to settle down so I can get those nice, big amps I see around here so often!
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Y'all need some pics for this thread.

I believe these were HE60's and that is an HEV70 next to it.

Yes they are.

I must say that the HEV70 it's not that bad after all. I know is hard to believe but it is true (at least for me). The problem is that they need at least 4-5 hours in order to perform its best. And I'm not talking about just left them switched on. No no no.

They have to be "playing" music for that period of time. To only have them switched on is not enough. You keep getting that annoying Left/Right separation and that raw, shrill, mediocre sound.

After 5 hours I can't believe that only an OpAmp can deliver that pretty decent sound. Obviously a KGSS is better and it's pretty annoying to wait 5 hours when you want to listen "right here, right now".
frown.gif

Anyway my point is that the HEV70 is not that horrible, although sure it is annoying!!

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Thanks for the space update nomad.. i could site it in a different place.. good to know in advance!

No problem. Enjoy your gear in good health!
orphsmile.gif

May 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Yes, I know that I am responding to a post from some eight years ago, but now that I have my HeadAmp Justin built KGSS to now drive my various electrostatic headphones,
I definitely have to not only agree but to reiterate and unequivocally affirm the above observation!     Gawd, how I love my Baby Orpheus!
smile_phones.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #45 of 45
I was lucky enough to test these out in Canada 3 years ago.
At my aunt's friends house who used to work Sennheiser also was a part  for the hd 580 team he had a he60 too also some other prototypes.
Was not a audiophile at that time ahhh I want to listen again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back