Old discman (Sony and Technics)
Feb 10, 2011 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

thmz0

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]Hi[/size]
[size=medium]I post here to have some opinions about old PCDP.[/size]
[size=medium]In fact I recently bought a Sony Discman D-225CR and it seems to be a real good player, very practical (IR remote, LCD backlight). The drawback are mainly size, batteries live (#5 h with 2AA) and of course for 1992 item, no CD-RW compatibility.[/size]
[size=medium]I think the sound is good (it use a 1bit DAC) .[/size]
[size=medium]In fact I don’t see really difference with D-33 which use 8 time oversampling DAC.[/size]
[size=medium]Today I prefer the Sony sound than the Technics one. When I was younger it was the contrary (I have the SL-XP-505 and SL-XP-340).  In fact Sony sounds more crisp and the Mega bass has more effect than Technics XBS. Of course for some CDs Technics is better in my opinion.[/size]
[size=medium]For the practical use I think Tecnics better, mainly because you can press top and have the number of track and the total time, like on a home CD player. Sony resume mode is usefull and restart very fast but I can't bear the bip (specially in pause mode!)[/size]
[size=medium]I don’t have the exact year of the 505 (about 1992-1993) and must be in similar to the Sony D-225 (IR, blacklight,…) but with 8 times DAC. The live sound is also very appreciable. The autonomy is better than the Sony one.[/size]
[size=medium]The 340 (purchased in 1996) was one of the first generation with anti-shock memory and can play more than 10h with 2AA cells. It use MASH (1 bit DAC I think), but sound very close as the 505.[/size]
[size=medium]Have somes of you test these players, what are your opinion and how would you compare them with Sony D-303 (I read on this forum it is one of the most in term of sound quality)? Do you think there are collectible PCDP?[/size]

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 4
I like to know too!

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 4
http://www.walkmancentral.com/faq

Phillips also made some sought-after models, but its really not my area of interest. Much prefer ogling vintage amps and dacs :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 4
dacs these years, are better. but still, it has some distance.

the 1st generation
it's all about the analog sound.
it surprises me how analog the first sony's, revox,philips are.
still prefer TT. better detail, better everything. just one thing old skool digital is the better than LP, it's the convenience.

but, if you want detail, buy a 2010's dac.
if you want history, me like 80's.. :wink: you'll buy the old skool ones.
it's all about emotion

if you want the best of the best
it's still R2R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back