Old but good - Yin Lu Mei M400, Calyx M, AR-M2
Oct 16, 2022 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kashtan

100+ Head-Fier
I want to buy one of the best sound sources that were popular and known about 5 years ago when I was actively interested in this, and which now cost relatively little money, since they have long been discontinued.
I chose three devices, and now I would be very grateful if someone compares them with each other and says which is better in terms of sound quality.
I have looked at all possible sound ratings, and I can write the following:
DAP Yin Lu Mei A2 (based on Ak4497) better then AR-M2
In rating of badguy Calyx M on first place, ar-m2 on last place, but all DAPs in this list is very nice.
Also in another rating AR-M2 - frist place, . Cayin N8 - 2nd place, Calyx M - 3rd place.
I collected literally dozens of ratings, and I did not save their authorship.
So I ask those who listened to all three sources, to characterize their sound, and preference.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Calyx M is still my favourite player and best sounding but it is so slow to use. Battery life isn't great, there is no streaming option, no third party apps neither. But still best sounding DAP for me and I have owned many. My daily driver is a DX300 with AMP 13 and I still prefer the sound of the Calyx M. I can't compare to your selection as I haven't used them. Good luck with your quest.

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 9
Calyx M is still my favourite player and best sounding but it is so slow to use. Battery life isn't great, there is no streaming option, no third party apps neither. But still best sounding DAP for me and I have owned many. My daily driver is a DX300 with AMP 13 and I still prefer the sound of the Calyx M. I can't compare to your selection as I haven't used them. Good luck with your quest.
Thank you for response.
I'm not taking it for convenience, I don't need streaming services, also responsiveness, screen, size, weight, and everything else.
Only His Majesty Sound.

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 9
I also can say the calyx m is a great sounding dap as I have two,the older version defiantly sounds more organic vinyl like
Compared to the latter production.The arm 2 makes clicking noises whilst playing with sensitive iems which is why I sold my
Unit

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 9
I also can say the calyx m is a great sounding dap as I have two,the older version defiantly sounds more organic vinyl like
Compared to the latter production.The arm 2 makes clicking noises whilst playing with sensitive iems which is why I sold my
Unit
Ty for response.
Amp of AR-M2 have got high output impendance so maybe can work not correct with IEMs.

Oct 17, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 9
I have 2x Calyx M and neither work anymore. My favorite player and I’m nervous to buy another. Looking for a replacement… Cayin N3Pro with tubes works decently but still not the Calyx sound.

Oct 19, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 9
I have 2x Calyx M and neither work anymore. My favorite player and I’m nervous to buy another. Looking for a replacement… Cayin N3Pro with tubes works decently but still not the Calyx sound.
Sadly.
You a tried to take it in for repair? At least to understand what caused it. I have not even heard of one case, but you have two at once. It's wild. Maybe for example voltage surges in the local network during charging - as the most obvious case? Do you have a voltmeter?
Cayin N3Pro with tubes based on the ratings I have - inferior. For even N8 - was on the level.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 9
If anyone finds a player that sounds as good as the calyx m then please let me know!

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 9
I choose Calyx M, 3 days ago arrive to me, AR-M2 and Yin Lu Mei maybe purchase later just for collection, thanks to all for advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back