Old and New Hd650's
Nov 7, 2009 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
What's the difference between old and new Hd650's? I don't mean brand new and second hand, but in the trade section of the side I've read people specifying their HD650's are the new ones or something like that.

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemianism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between old and new Hd650's? I don't mean brand new and second hand, but in the trade section of the side I've read people specifying their HD650's are the new ones or something like that.

The originals had acoustic silk damping - later versions had damping made of metal.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 16
Older version is more laid back with bigger bass, and a little veiled with less details, newer one has a bit lesser bass but overall is a more neutral can, with better midrange and hights, also i found it to have better detail and no veil at all.

Here are some photos, the new one has white dampening material/driver.
I like newer version
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about one year ago, maximum one year and a half

I thought it was a little longer than that..

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 16
About 4 months ago, I got a HD650 new version (by the look of the driver from the outside of the cup)...the first listen was horrible! no bass at all, harsh highs and too much farward mids. nothing like the HD650 i read about in all the threads...the so called "bass heavy" HD650. it sounds more like a grado than a senn.
anyway.. after some time of burn in, the sound improved a little, but still wasn't to my liking, but I saw the potential of them and went for an earmax pro tube amp which really make them rock, the sound is now warm and lush with plenty of bass and still more neutral than my denons.

I think that the oldest version would be more to my tastes.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this in concrete information, not jokes. I heard both, and the difference in sound is very noticeable, ask everyone else on here who heard both if you do not believe me.
A friend of mine has older HD650 i have newer, difference is very obvious ..
Also here are tons of threads discussing about this

I still don't believe personally. There's a lot of stuff here claimed to be true. Did the company declare the coming of this new version of the HD650's and explain the differences etc., not only physically, but sonically?

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm sure that they saw the changes as an improvement, or perhaps it made the headphone cheaper to manufacture. Either way, I don't believe that they announced anything.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Yeah I definitely agree, HD650's bass and sound stage rocks wit tube amps. it sounds lean wit solid state or unamped~

Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 4 months ago, I got a HD650 new version (by the look of the driver from the outside of the cup)...the first listen was horrible! no bass at all, harsh highs and too much farward mids. nothing like the HD650 i read about in all the threads...the so called "bass heavy" HD650. it sounds more like a grado than a senn.
anyway.. after some time of burn in, the sound improved a little, but still wasn't to my liking, but I saw the potential of them and went for an earmax pro tube amp which really make them rock, the sound is now warm and lush with plenty of bass and still more neutral than my denons.

I think that the oldest version would be more to my tastes.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I definitely agree, HD650's bass and sound stage rocks wit tube amps. it sounds lean wit solid state or unamped~

I have a pair of 6DJ8 mullard for my EMP on their way to warm things up further...still not enough bass and tube lushness for me. that's what happen when you are a denon fan
smile.gif

I tell you this, the HD650 (at least the new version) is a tough nut to crack, but I will make it in the end...there are certain things about them that I like and I feel that they are worth of investing in a special tube rig just for them.
If I would h ave the old version it would have made my mission a lot more easier.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't believe personally. There's a lot of stuff here claimed to be true. Did the company declare the coming of this new version of the HD650's and explain the differences etc., not only physically, but sonically?

it makes a lot of sense if you look at older production headphones as examples. AKG has a history of changing the same sorts of things in their phones with no announcement, and when asked, they claim, like sennheiser, that the change was because of supply changes, and makes no difference to sound. But The differences between the 3 versions of the K240 sextett are clear if you listen to them, and are caused by changes in the material of the passive radiators. Also, the K340 changed due to internal changes, and they all sound different. The K1000 is reported to have different versions, though no one has investigated. Also, changing something like this screen makes sense that it would have an affect on bass, treble, etc if you look at the ortho thread modders as examples.

I have a new version hd650 here, but no old version to compare it to. But I do like it better than I have ever liked it in the past.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 16
the newer HD650 i had didn't sound slow, laid-back, too much bass, veiled etc...it was hard to follow the musical line though, even after a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back