old amp suddenly sounds faint - easy to fix?
May 16, 2005 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stinkpot

New Head-Fier
hi all,

i have the opportunity to buy an old nad 7000 amplifier. apparently, "has worked great untill recently, it may have blown a fuse or something, the sound is very faint." i've never really troubleshooted an amp before - does this sound just like a broken pot or something?

also, can anyone give me an informed guess as to what might be a reasonable price for this amp?

(i realize this isn't a headphone question, but this is one of the best places i've come across on the 'net for diy-audio.)

thanks!
-ld

May 16, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 3
Could very easily be an old cap or resistor has bit the dust, or something lost its connection to ground (or got shorted to ground). That's not hard to fix, you just have to find the bad part. It could be as simple as broken fuse, which you can tell just by looking at it. Sometimes a failed capacitor will be swollen, leaking, or splattered about the amp interior.

Is it faint in one channel or two? If it's one, the problem is probably in that audio section or the input jacks. If it's in two, it's probably a problem with the power supply, or some single component that both channels are connected to (like the volume pot).

The biggest real challenge to doing this is actually figuring out why the amp's behavior changed. If you've got a blown component it may have been killed by something else misbehaving, and replacing the broken part is only half the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back