Old amp rattles and distorts the sound when I turn the volume control.
Jun 4, 2002 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kryogen

100+ Head-Fier
Had this problem with many amps. When I turn the volune knob, I have to really play with it to place it in a position where I don't get only 1 speaker output, and where I don't hear BbzZZzz and stuff.

I think it's just that the potentiometer is getting old and the contact is bad. Should I just check which one it is, get a new one and solder?

It's a prefectly working 15-20 years old harman/kardon amp.

Jun 4, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Seems to be oxidation in the potentiometer. Replacing it with a new should solve the problem. Somewhat simpler is to try treating it with cleaning fluid. It should be a spray can, preferably with an additional thin tube, so you can spray into the potentiometer, for example DeOxit. Disconnect from AC first!
Even if you replace the pot, in and outputs are also dirty. Clean them also!

Jun 4, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 16
Thx alot, but theres something I am wondering.

I opened it and it was a kind of dual pot, with alot of weird solders and ****z00r. Huh... How the hell am I supposed to: get a new one? Install it?

And is there a common producs that can de-oxydate the plugs? Cause yes, they are oxyded. Not gold... And 20 years old.

Jun 4, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 16
Yes, you should be able to use the same product for both. De-oxit is kind of audiophile product that is stated not only to clean but also enhance the contact. Maybee cheaper products are equally good, I do not know. For a 20 years old amp I assume it doesn't make much of a difference. I assume Radio Schack has something that works. The fluid should remove oxides, alcohol is not enough.
If the cleaning works, you don't have to worry about soldering etc.

Jun 4, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 16
You want me to spray that right on the pot and stuff ????? Won't it shock the stuff once I turn the power on? No way for me to wipe it.

And could doing so remove some of the "background noise" ?

Jun 4, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 16
This stuff usually evaporates fast, but you could let it dry over the night if you want to be really sure. Maybee, you have to clean it two or three times.
Some of the background noise can be caused by oxides, but the amp cannot get better than it was orginally. These 15 - 20 years old amps are noiser than modern, but usually not much on high level inputs as CD if it was a decent amp from the beginning. Don't think HK made anything that bad.

Jun 5, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 16
Also, when there's no sound I hear a real faint Bzzzzzzz sound in the headphones (the amp does it), and when I turn up the volume, the bzzz is louder.

It's kind of annoying, what could be causing this???

Jun 6, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 16
Would it help if I gave you some pics?

Here you see the (I think) oxydated plugs. Pot must be just like that, I guess.
http://cafe.rapidus.net/aldesros/images/audio/amp_1.jpg

Front amp shot.
http://cafe.rapidus.net/aldesros/images/audio/amp_2.jpg

Back of the amp, you see the cheapass connector that I got to use to get comp sound to my amp.
http://cafe.rapidus.net/aldesros/images/audio/amp_3.jpg

And finally, a shot of my headphones. Should have removed the mouse, whatever
wink.gif

http://cafe.rapidus.net/aldesros/images/audio/grado.jpg

Jun 6, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 16
Kryogen, I think you are too demanding. As soon as a question comes up in your mind, you think that someone can answer it. The noice in the volume control is a well-known problem. But no one knows if this is the only problem with your amp and not if you think it will sound good enough when cleaned.
You must make things on your own. You can study Head-Fi reviews on headphones and amps, listen yourself, read magazines and look at other sources on the internet. Don't think that you can get easy answers that will solve all of your problems instantly!

Jun 6, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 16
You might actually be right =)
Somehow I managed to think that my questions were easy hehe, perhaps I am wrong, I just don't know about it. Yeah, I'm a lil bit impatient, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back