Old 2AA Oscon Total Airhead vs. new TA
Apr 10, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

K.T.

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Anyone out there have the chance to compare the sound from the old 2AA Total Airhead (the one with a bunch of Oscon caps inside) with the current production Total Airhead (circa 2009)?

As an owner of the older model, I've always been curious if the new model is a real upgrade or if it's just different sounding.

I know that manufacturers often alter or modify a product to take advantage of more cost effective manufacturing methods, subcontractors, or materials, sometimes with adverse consequences on quality. I was curious if all the Oscons may have cost too much and Headroom went to a different design because of that.

I did have a great email exchange several years ago with a gentleman at Headroom which was very informative and enlightening. He outlined the technical differences very frankly (The new model at that time did use different opamps and buffers) and even suggested the specific chips I could change out in my personal unit to achieve the sound I wanted. Alas, I lost all this information when I moved and neglected my email account (pre-Google; all the messages erased after a specific period of inactivity).

I'd be grateful if anyone who's compare these two models could share their observations.

Many thanks,
KT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back