Okay, the Audeze LCD-2's are the one. Now what would you recommend for a DAC/AMP?
Jan 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

PowerNerd

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been researching and I've come to the conclusion that the Audeze LCD-2 will be the best headphone for my music taste. I prefer Old-School Hip-Hip, Rap, R&B and Rock (Metallica etc.). I do love bass, and from every review I've read, the LCD-2's are perfect for bass and they deliver it precisely as it is meant to be heard.  

This will be my first setup, I have been slowly saving and have repurchased almost all music I had on mp3's and ripped them all from CD's to Flac. I have a few setups in mind such as Violetric V800 & V200, Burson Conductor/Conductor SL 9018, or the Schiit Gungnir & Mjolnir combo. I have even thought about the WooAudio WA7, but it is a combined unit and I would prefer to stay with something that provides balanced outputs (since I have read it provides better quality that TRS). In addition I would love to have the Meridian Prime, but again that one has 1/4 TRS and it would eventually need an extremely overpriced PSU. I am open to other suggestions, or combinations that others have had success with.

I would prefer to stay around the $1,500 price range for a DAC/AMP but I would extend it if necessary, as I feel if I'm going to purchase something I would prefer to have the best I am able to purchase at the time then having to upgrade in 6 months. One more thing, if you know of a combination that might be available soon, and you think it is worth the wait, I am willing to wait. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 19
You should go listen to the LCD-3's. I did, and found the LCD-3's to have more "oomph" and I liked them a bit better.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 19
  You should go listen to the LCD-3's. I did, and found the LCD-3's to have more "oomph" and I liked them a bit better.

Yeah I bet it does, I would love to purchase those or even the LCD-X, but I thought it would be better to purchase a great pair of cans like the LCD-2 and have a little more money for a DAC/AMP, specifically the DAC. Would you agree?

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 19
  Yeah I bet it does, I would love to purchase those or even the LCD-X, but I thought it would be better to purchase a great pair of cans like the LCD-2 and have a little more money for a DAC/AMP, specifically the DAC. Would you agree?

I would agree actually. Sure, the LCD-3 was a bit better, but not $1000 better, at least not to me.

You could also check out the HE-500's as I heard they are stiff competition to the LCD's.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 19

I would agree actually. Sure, the LCD-3 was a bit better, but not $1000 better, at least not to me.

You could also check out the HE-500's as I heard they are stiff competition to the LCD's.

GaryWA, cool, thanks for the info I have thought about those as well.

Does anybody have any thoughts about a good AMP/DAC for my music taste?

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 19
If you get the HE-500, the Emotiva Mini-X A-100 is a popular amp. It is a speaker amp and very inexpensive. It would probably work on the LCD-2 as well. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 19
  GaryWA, cool, thanks for the info I have thought about those as well.

Does anybody have any thoughts about a good AMP/DAC for my music taste?

Hey there!

They aren't maxed out in your price range but I have found the Schiit Bifrost (with uber upgrade) DAC and Lyr (Hybrid Tube Amp) to be more than adequate with my LCD-2s.  The beauty of the Lyr is the ability to roll in tubes to change the sound signature to fit your taste (just be careful as I've spent more than $3K rolling tubes to fit my taste 
wink_face.gif
).  I'm sure there are other DAC/AMPs out there but you wouldn't be spending a lot of money on the Schiit equipment to see if it fits your needs.

http://schiit.com/

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - I had the LCD-3 as well as the 2s (which I have now) and the Lyr would go great with either.  Of course, all this is IMHO and YMMV...

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 19
  Hey there!

They aren't maxed out in your price range but I have found the Schiit Bifrost (with uber upgrade) DAC and Lyr (Hybrid Tube Amp) to be more than adequate with my LCD-2s.  The beauty of the Lyr is the ability to roll in tubes to change the sound signature to fit your taste (just be careful as I've spent more than $3K rolling tubes to fit my taste 
wink_face.gif
).  I'm sure there are other DAC/AMPs out there but you wouldn't be spending a lot of money on the Schiit equipment to see if it fits your needs.

http://schiit.com/

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - I had the LCD-3 as well as the 2s (which I have now) and the Lyr would go great with either.  Of course, all this is IMHO and YMMV...

I've been reading that a lot, however I've heard a majority of tubes are for brighter sounds which I'm not to keen on. I was planning on staying in the solid state arena. What are your thoughts on balanced outputs vs unbalanced? Wow 3k lol, as long as you found the best sound that suits you I don't seen nothing wrong with that.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 19
  I've been reading that a lot, however I've heard a majority of tubes are for brighter sounds which I'm not to keen on. I was planning on staying in the solid state arena. What are your thoughts on balanced outputs vs unbalanced? Wow 3k lol, as long as you found the best sound that suits you I don't seen nothing wrong with that.

Tubes actually produce a warmer sound, that's why they are paired with "brighter" headphones, unless that is what you meant so disregard :)

As for solid states, I believe the Burson Conductor is a good choice as well.

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 19
  Tubes actually produce a warmer sound, that's why they are paired with "brighter" headphones, unless that is what you meant so disregard :)

As for solid states, I believe the Burson Conductor is a good choice as well.

GaryWA yeah that's exactly what I meant. The Burson does have some good reviews, I'll have to do more research. Thanks

Bump...

Any other options or input on the thread I would greatly appreciate it, I'm not the type that jumps into purchases that's why I would like more input. Thanks

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Both of those are new and have few reviews, so it's going to be hard to find anyone who can give you good advice there. 

I like the looks of the McIntosh though 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back