Okay. That it's. I'm mad. >_< | HD600+GilmoreLite or DT880+SR71?
Jul 13, 2005 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay. I'm really frustrated now.
biggrin.gif
The life of a head-fier is a depressing one for those whose pockets are very shallow.
tongue.gif

Okay, the question to change my life for the next few years.

HD600 + Gilmore Lite

or

DT880 + SR-71

Since I can't really describe the genre of music I listen to, I'll name their sources:
1. Trance / Electronica
1. Apocalyptica
2. Lord of the Rings Soundtrack, Gladiator Soundtrack, Requiem for a Dream Theme

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Comments? Everything is welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

(Oh I wish I had the money to buy a tube amp.
frown.gif
The DT880 would be my obvious choice, then.)

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 21
I'd get the gilmore lite over the sr-71 no matter which headphone you choose to go with. The 880's will probably be better for trance as they have more treble energy than the 600s.

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 21
What about DT880 + Gilmore?

Looking at your list of cans, I think you'd be better off with the 880, given you have a preference for more forward sounding cans.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 21
I believe there is some sort of synergy between the DT880s and the Gilmore Lite, no? It seems we are following VERY similar paths, Veniogenesis...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 21
Jul 13, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Bleh. I think I'm going to have to get a AE-1 instead.
frown.gif

Apparently I just realized that I'll need the portability factor in there.

You lucky person, I want the AE-1 too but can't afford another $50 (I'm also doubting that it'll be as good as the Gilmore Lite). But it is quite entertaining to see how many times you'll change your mind till you actually buy the amp. Heh, it'd be funny to see you end up just getting a plain cmoy in the end
smily_headphones1.gif

OT: We need a better A500 smilie! And maybe we could also get a DT880 one?

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
You lucky person, I want the AE-1 too but can't afford another $50 (I'm also doubting that it'll be as good as the Gilmore Lite).

Yeah, I don't think it'll sound as good. Portability just came into the picture though, so argh. I'm ripping $200 from my friend.
biggrin.gif
I have to help him with his job. (He's a lazy engineer like I am. He wants me to do a crapload of testing for him. hahaha)
Quote:

Heh, it'd be funny to see you end up just getting a plain cmoy in the end
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I have a CMoy now, but watch me get a Go-Vibe in the end.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

OT: We need a better A500 smilie! And maybe we could also get a DT880 one?

Yes we do!
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 21
I guess we'll find out in 8 days just exactly how good the AE-1 is, particlarly compared to the Gilmore Lite. Other than being forced to only use it near a wall outlet, the only problem left with the Gilmore Lite is that the rca inputs are reversed (From left to right, you see the right input first and then the left input; I'm used to seeing the white jack on the left and the red jack on the right). I emailed them about whether it'd be possible to get a custom job and have it reversed. Yeah, I know that's incredibly anal, but:

HeadAmp is also unique in that we have the ability to customize some of our products to the exact specifications of the customer, from anything to component upgrades to a custom chassis. Products such as the Gilmore Reference, KGSS, and Blue Hawaii amplifiers are some of these products. If you have a special request, just ask and we'll see what we can do.

EDIT: Nevermind:

Quote:

Sorry, the Gilmore Lite or AE-1 isnt a product we can customize like
that.

frown.gif

EDIT2:
Quote:

There aren't any customizations available for the Gilmore Lite or the
AE-1.

rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Since I can't really describe the genre of music I listen to, I'll name their sources:
1. Trance / Electronica
1. Apocalyptica
2. Lord of the Rings Soundtrack, Gladiator Soundtrack, Requiem for a Dream Theme

You listen to anime soundtracks and J-Pop? Just a wild guess.

I have the Senn 595 + Gilmore Lite and I will say the GL added a wonderful smoothness to the music with increased detail. Things fade in and out with much more clarity than they ever did with my old amp, and it sounds slightly "bright" but in no way shrill or peircing.

EDIT: I listen to mainly Electronic Music and Ambient in particular.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 21
I would say pick the headphone that sounds better to you (either from audition and/or reading here), and then consider if you need/want crossfeed (and the type of crossfeed) in an amp now or in the future.

Headphone and crossfeed should be your biggest considerations IMO. So maybe you should also look at other amps.

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 21
I figured I should just post it here rather than make another thread:
Is it worth spending $225 for dedicated power supply for the Gilmore Lite? I plan to get one with the standard one, but later down the road, would it be worth it to get one? SQ differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back