Okay, so I don't like grados. What will I like?
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Duncandun

100+ Head-Fier
Let me just get it out of the way here, I own some SR325i's. I enjoy the sound for what it is good for(rock, specifically with electric guitars i've noticed). However, the headphones are DAMN uncomfortable for me. The drivers rub against my ears constantly and I can't wear them for more than 30 minutes before my skin practically starts bleeding. I'm exaggerating of course but I still can't wear them for more than 30 minutes. I also enjoy QUITE a lot of music that is so far out of the spectrum for these headphones that keeping them around me for anything but listening to rock and alt rock straight for ever is just not a good experience.

Anyway, So let me get to the beef of why this thread was created:

I'm selling(or trading) my 325i's, hopefully to get something much better for me. 

So far, the only actual HQ phones i've tried were the Shure 840s due to some guy positing a trade(840s+75 bux) who conveniently disappeared after I agreed to do it when I listened to them in a local guitar center. I liked them, they were a little 'distant' sounding, to be honest but they handled both aquistic, and electric guitar centered music quite well, as well as the small assortment of electronica I had. 

Currently, I'm listening to Jonsi's Go Do with my 325i's, It's not pretty.

So, anyway. I'm hoping to get ~200 ish dollars from my 325i's or a good trade(I'd prefer a trade tbh). 

I've been eyeing:
ATH-A700's
ATH-MS50
Shures
UE TF10
AKG701(doubtful, I like taking my headphones on trips with me)
HD25-1 II's
Phiation MS400

Or a combination of a nice home-set + a cheaper portable set(Such as the creative Aural Live!(theyre cheap and supposedly good sounding) + some shure840s for home).

Once I move in to my new place, I'll have a pretty decent(eh) amp that should be quite capable of driving any HP I can throw at them*
*Onkyo TX-8211

So TBH I just don't want to 'downgrade' in the quality of headphone from the Grado's, because I appreciate their quality and such, we just don't get along.

Right now, I'm primarily using my good old HD485's. 

So, hopefully you guys can help me decide what to get!

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 34
DT880/600 if you're willing to spend some more. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 34
Actually Im in the same boat as you duncandun. Im not sure if the grado sound is for me. I was kind of eyeing the HD25. Anyone care to compare grado's to the hd25's?

Actually if the grado's hurt your ears the hd25's are probably gonna have a similar effect. The leather padding may help though compared to the sandpaper grado pads :p

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 34
how would one compare the MS 400's to the a700/ad700 both portability wise and sound wise? 

I know the a700 can be had for a lot less than the pricey 400's, but I've seen the ms 400's go for ~170 new so it's not too bad.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 34
700's are not portable, at all. The AD700's mids are recessed so not sure you would like them, but some people do. The M50 is a good all-arounder, portable, cheap and you get more SQ than what you pay for. Can't comment on the others.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 34
Try loosening the pressure that the headband creates by bending it outward. This is the cause of the vast majority of Grado discomfort. It would be a shame to get rid of them for this reason. You could eliminate discomfort alltogether by spending 10 seconds bending the headband.

Also, try putting another pad beneath the bowls (like a ksc75 or px100 pad). It leaves the sound almost unaltered but helps by putting some padding between the driver cover and your ear.

With these two simple and cheap mods I eliminated discomfort alltogether in my SR60 and 325i.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 34
How about the Audio-Technica M50s? They're similar to the SHR840, but have a more emphasized bass, which you may enjoy for your electronica music. Also, they are a little more upfront as well. You'd probably be able to pick it up in the FS forum for $70-$80 shipped.

Are you using a DAC? If not, I highly recommend a basic one - it's a significant step up from using your computer's built-in soundcard. The NuForce uDAC is a good choice, and goes on sale for $75-$80 in the FS forum.

That would still leave you money for an even more portable pair! Possibly the Koss KSC75 ($15) or Koss Portapro ($30)...

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 34

Quote:
How about the Audio-Technica M50s? They're similar to the SHR840, but have a more emphasized bass, which you may enjoy for your electronica music. Also, they are a little more upfront as well. You'd probably be able to pick it up in the FS forum for $70-$80 shipped.

Are you using a DAC? If not, I highly recommend a basic one - it's a significant step up from using your computer's built-in soundcard. The NuForce uDAC is a good choice, and goes on sale for $75-$80 in the FS forum.

That would still leave you money for an even more portable pair! Possibly the Koss KSC75 ($15) or Koss Portapro ($30)...

Not using a Dac, but when I originally received my 325i's I was using an onkyo amplifier, having the onkyo plugged into my computer via two RCA cables into my creative audigy 2, I would plug my grados into the amp. 

don't have this set up right now (in a transitional phase) but I will have it when I move in less than 2 months.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
Try loosening the pressure that the headband creates by bending it outward. This is the cause of the vast majority of Grado discomfort. It would be a shame to get rid of them for this reason. You could eliminate discomfort alltogether by spending 10 seconds bending the headband.

Also, try putting another pad beneath the bowls (like a ksc75 or px100 pad). It leaves the sound almost unaltered but helps by putting some padding between the driver cover and your ear.

With these two simple and cheap mods I eliminated discomfort alltogether in my SR60 and 325i.

Yeah, I've read into the comfort mods pretty extensively. While I felt it would improve my experience it would not however make them sound good with a good 75% of the music I listen to.

I agree though, I'd rather not have to get rid of them but I need the money(if I don't buy replacements) or just some cans that will sound good with everything

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 34
I haven't heard all those headphones so can't say which to get but going by what you say I would think you would prefer SRH840 over the M50. I do anyway. M50 are better for portability but as you probably know the SRH840 fold too, they are just larger and heavier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back