okay...I'm bloody lost (long, boring, but I have to get it out of my system)
Jan 3, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 22
Of the headphones I have tried I would only recommend philips 'phones for use out of portables (and possibility out of low quality sources.) I have the HP 900 , which are closed and therefore not great for classical but excellent for jazz and rock stuff.

They are incredibly efficient and easy to drive, are not *too* bassy and certainly convey immediacy in the rock-style music I have listened to on them. I also have mx400s and they seem sort of similar..the hp900 being less shrill. None of the big sennheisers came close straight from a portable cd or minidisc. If you want open have a look at the hp890 or 910.
Good luck..

Jan 3, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #17 of 22
my source is my Denon DCD-635 cdplayer (~180$). and I use the headphone output on my integrated Denon PMA-725 amp. although I'm thinking of upgrading to a Corda HA-1 in the near future.

there are two things I want to change in the sound (I hope Corda will fix this):

1. give the sound a bit more "edge". I was thinking about getting a earmax pro at first but I think a solid state amp will be better for me.
2. improve dynamics on low volume. not that there's anything wrong with the dynamics but I usually listen to slightly below average volume.

yeah and forget about using them for portables without an additional amp. but I guess you knew that already.

Jan 3, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

I loved the way they rendered vocals, haven't heard anything as beautyfull as Kate Bush through the Grado's. loved their sense of immediacy. but, impact was over-the-top, they sound pityful at low volume and they gave me ringing ears when I used them at satisfying levels.

I have to agree with you here. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 225. But it doesn't sound as impressing when i play it at low level. I tend to turn my Porta Corda's volume knob up after every few songs. And I am always wondering will it blow my ear someday.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 22
Sony MDR-CD1700 can still be found (or could middle of December) at 3 or 4 shops in London, NEW, Boxed, and Guaranteed for 12 months
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 22
they can? hmm, interesting..

London is just a little bit too far away.

Jan 4, 2002 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 22
I have to agree with you Braver. I get the same feeling with my Koss 35's. I went to BH photos over hear in new york and auditioned alot of headphones. From sony's to Senn. My school also has alot of beyers in stock considering they have upgraded their listening rooms. Only headphones I haven't tried has been the phillips and grado's since I can't find a dealer in ny. Any way's when I started trying all the headphones especially the senns I felt that yeah they sounded great... I could hear everything clearer and tighter. Yet everything just sounded a lil to "dry" or just to analytical. Thy didn't envolve me as I thought they would. I have to admit though they music they had for trying these headphones was crap (some kinda of funk fusion rap) not the stuff I listened to. My koss 35 though are cheap and whatever but over all they really involve you. I still want to get a great pair of home phones and am now very interested in the ety's but for sheer fun I like my koss alot.
biggrin.gif
but am still green still don't have another pair of phones so you guy's can disregard what I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back