Ok3 vs Pk3
Aug 14, 2008 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Lisa Gerrard

New Head-Fier
I was about to order an ok3, but I have found some review saying ok3 is similar to pk2 and pk3 is better than pk2, so I have to argue that the cheaper pk3 is better or almost equal than ok3… but usually ok1 and ok2 are better than pk1 and pk2...
These are their prices:
Ok2 88€ maybe too expensive for me
Pk2 51€
Ok3 44€ (for this I don’t need to pay vat)
Pk3 36€ (maybe I have to pay VAT)

So I need an advice: which one is better, ok3 or pk3?
thank you

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 13
Not much difference, and I've owned both. I have the OK3s now, but don't use them often. Both are a good value, but with the OK3s you get the canalphone conversion option, which to me (and others) doesn't really work.

I'd get whichever costs you less, since I think they are pretty close in SQ.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 13
I was thinking the exact same thing and I might just go with the PK3s since there a little cheaper and I wouldn't be using the canalphones anyway. Downgrading from my PK1s+amp for much more portability.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 13
I think it goes something like this.

OK1 = PK1 > OK2 > PK2 = OK3 > PK3

Personally, I'd go with the OK3's. Especially since you don't have to pay VAT.

Aug 15, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 13
i'm wondering a simmilar question.
i have the pk3's, wondering if the OK3's are much of an upgrade (ie comparable to Pk2) i dont care too much for the whole canalphone bit.

Aug 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm wondering a simmilar question.
i have the pk3's, wondering if the OK3's are much of an upgrade (ie comparable to Pk2) i dont care too much for the whole canalphone bit.

The OK3s are not a huge upgrade from the PK3s, so if you can swing the money, I would recommend just going with the OK2s. They are reasonably close to their amped OK1 brothers and a nice step up from the OK3s. I have the OK2s and despite being thin in the middle, I think they are very nice earbuds. I haven't done too much EQing yet, but the sound could certainly be tweaked to warm them up a bit. Oh, and the canalphone part of it is garbage, just forget that part...

Aug 16, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 13
If you are going between the ok3 and pk3 only, I would go with the ok3, and a few days ago I did, just because the ok3 has a 1 yr replacement thing while the pk3's only offer 3 months and 5 months after getting the pk3's the right earbud died on me.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 13
Can you save up for the OK2s? I think they are really pretty good for the money, a nice step up from the OK/PK3s.

Aug 16, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you save up for the OK2s? I think they are really pretty good for the money, a nice step up from the OK/PK3s.

Hello,

I'm thinking to upgrade from my PK3 too, I got a ipod classic (unamp) and was wondering if hissing will not be an issue with the OK2. Did you try those with your nano unamp?

Thanks

Aug 16, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolas000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I'm thinking to upgrade from my PK3 too, I got a ipod classic (unamp) and was wondering if hissing will not be an issue with the OK2. Did you try those with your nano unamp?

Thanks

Yes, and they work great. In fact, my main purpose for buying the OK2s was to use them while running with my nano, no amp. There is plenty of power coming out of the nano to make your ears bleed with the OK2s.

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Yes, and they work great. In fact, my main purpose for buying the OK2s was to use them while running with my nano, no amp. There is plenty of power coming out of the nano to make your ears bleed with the OK2s.

Thanks !
(and sorry, wallet...
icon10.gif
)

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

yes, I can afford OK2 (even sa6), but I don't like to vast double price for an item that can get broken very easily in gym, I see you use it for running, don't you be afraid of damage it?

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Gerrard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, I can afford OK2 (even sa6), but I don't like to vast double price for an item that can get broken very easily in gym, I see you use it for running, don't you be afraid of damage it?

Well, the Sleeks and Yuins are vastly different phones. You first have to consider if you want IEM style or earbud. The SA6s are certainly much better than the Yuins, but I was looking for an earbud style for my purpose, so they work just fine (and they're cheaper).

As far as worry about damage, no. Running is a fairly benign activity for headphones, I think, so I don't worry about them getting damaged at all. Actually, running was the express purpose of my Yuins, so if they get damaged, they get damaged. They seem fairly robust, despite their thin cables. As far as working out, I would use them there too, although I feel the probability for damage is much higher in that setting. These are my knockaround headphones, so I'm aware of the risk. Would I ever go anywhere besides my study with my HD650s? Never.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back