Ok, Zune or Zen M
Apr 30, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is the consensus that the Zune sounds better than the creative ZenM?

I think is also depending by sinergy with hps...
I'm using Koss Porta Pro (waiting for E500) and with this kind of hp, to my ears ZVM sound better (more precise and focused) than the Zune (i have both).
Obviously, is also a personal taste choice, what's right for me would be not so good for you...
In any case, Zune sound fine, not the best but surely good!

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #33 of 39
Well, the zune has a better headphone out but lacks the possibility of a line out (at least for now). The zen has a slightly less good headphone jack (but still better than an ipod) but there is the possibility of a line out. If you use an amp the SQ difference is probably no significant.

Personally I have a zen and likes the sound a lot, but with demanding headphones I use an amp most of the time. with an amp it's more down to the codecs supported, ease of use, screen size, battery life etc... than sound quality.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, noob question alert...what is the purpose of line-out?

Its not a noob question if you don't know
wink.gif
If you want to use line-out + external amp, you don't have to worry about using the internal (headphone jack) amp, then using the external amp. --> Amping the sound twice = not good = distortion is possible.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by erlik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the zune has a better headphone out but lacks the possibility of a line out (at least for now). The zen has a slightly less good headphone jack (but still better than an ipod) but there is the possibility of a line out. If you use an amp the SQ difference is probably no significant.

Personally I have a zen and likes the sound a lot, but with demanding headphones I use an amp most of the time. with an amp it's more down to the codecs supported, ease of use, screen size, battery life etc... than sound quality.

I think EFN used a remote control as a Line-ount for his Zune. He had to mod the cables from the remote control and his earphones...

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #37 of 39
no, that didn't work
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, with the Travel Pack I got a Remote Unit which has two output which is actually tapped from the dock - so it is a lineout actually. And in the Remote unit itself is a small volume attenuator.

Comparing between this output and headphone out, I can say that at volume 20/20, the headphone out matches the volume output from the remote unit.

And yes I did attempt to mod the remote unit into a simple lineout BUT I failed miserably because like mentioned above, the lineout need some sort of activation. So the project was abandoned and I wasted some $$$ with a dead remote unit.

I could not confirm if the lineout and headphone out are equal, but I do know that both sounded VERY clean

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219872

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, noob question alert...what is the purpose of line-out?

In short a line out is a way to connect an amp to you player whitout using the headphone jack's internal amplifier. As mentioned above using the headphone jack to connect an amp may introduce distortion while a line out doesn't.

Basically an headphone jack is designed to connect headphones directly (and will perform more poorly if connected to an amp) while a line out is designed to connect to an amp (and will perform poorly if connected directly to an headphone).

If you whish to use an amp a line out usually produces a better result than an headphone jack. most players have a line out (altrough you sometimes have to use a dock adaptor or special cable), but the zune is famous for not having one (or the dock adapter cable don't exist).

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by erlik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In short a line out is a way to connect an amp to you player whitout using the headphone jack's internal amplifier. As mentioned above using the headphone jack to connect an amp may introduce distortion while a line out doesn't.

Basically an headphone jack is designed to connect headphones directly (and will perform more poorly if connected to an amp) while a line out is designed to connect to an amp (and will perform poorly if connected directly to an headphone).

If you whish to use an amp a line out usually produces a better result than an headphone jack. most players have a line out (altrough you sometimes have to use a dock adaptor or special cable), but the zune is famous for not having one (or the dock adapter cable don't exist).

oh ok, thanks for your replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back