Ok, *why* do I need a headphone amp for HD650?
Aug 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #47 of 58
I spent some more time listening to my Cowon i7 (which has very powerful output for a DAP) and my 650s and I did not like what I heard. The sound was veiled and muddled and the 650s barely sounded better than my 485s coming out of this source, if at all. I think you really do need an amp. . . which is what I've been reading all over the place and  assumed was true. I only have a modest DAC/AMP because it was all I could afford, but sounds quite a bit better than my Cowon.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #48 of 58
Exactly, the only way you're going to know is to listen to it yourself.  Too many people give advice about components they have never tested and know very little about.
If you think you need an amp, use one.  If you don't then don't use one.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #49 of 58

Quote:
Haven't heard the hd650 myself (obvious caveat here), but based upon the impressions of people I trust, the short answer is: You don't. A sansa clip will drive the HD650 just as well as the best $2000 solid state amp, though naturally it won't get as loud. The HD650 is no akg k701, and is apparently much easier to drive than most posters here would lead you to believe.

If you get a chance to go to a meet, you could try the amps yourself. If you don't hear a difference (and I don't think you will), just smile and be happy for your wallet.

If this were the case this forum wouldn't exist.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #50 of 58

Quote:
If this were the case this forum wouldn't exist.

Take a look at the cable forum. Though measurements and double blind tests conclusively prove cables make no audible difference in sound, people still convince themselves that they do. I'd say everything in that forum is nonsense pandered by conmen looking to take advantage of people's ignorance, but that forum still exists.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #51 of 58
Cables and amplifiers are very different things.

Aug 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #52 of 58

Quote:
Take a look at the cable forum. Though measurements and double blind tests conclusively prove cables make no audible difference in sound, people still convince themselves that they do. I'd say everything in that forum is nonsense pandered by conmen looking to take advantage of people's ignorance, but that forum still exists.

[size=medium]
If your ears tell you that amplifiers really make no significant difference in the output signal, then you probably don't even need headphones like the HD650's.

You'd probably be happier with a pair of headphones that are EXPECTED to be used without an amplifier by most people.  Most of the time these lower tier headphones sound better unamped than a higher end pair would.  (by unamped I assume you know I mean no standalone headphone amp)
[/size]

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #53 of 58
^The difference an amplifier makes typically depends upon two factors:
1)the headphones
2)the volume
Headphones played at low volume, which is how I prefer to listen to music, are less likely to need an amplifier. That, and I've found that a good sound card, maybe something for $200, works just as well as any solid state amplifier out there

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #54 of 58

Quote:

That goes for just about this whole forum, not just the cable one. Bunch of nonsense that's been propagated by slick marketing.

http://www.headfonia.com/bbpress/topic.php?id=29
High impedance headphones are in fact easier to drive, while low impedance headphones, like speakers, draw more current and can cause clipping if the amp runs out of juice or in the worst case amp overheating (ruin the amp, possibly the speakers too).

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #55 of 58

Quote:
Headphones played at low volume, which is how I prefer to listen to music, are less likely to need an amplifier. That, and I've found that a good sound card, maybe something for $200, works just as well as any solid state amplifier out there

I disagree with this.  Amplifiers make a huge difference at low volumes, maybe even more so than at moderate volumes.  Without proper signal amplification the volume must be turned up to be able to hear the fine details and texture.  With a decent amp lower volumes sound MUCH better.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #56 of 58
I listen for a living.. And i can tell you it all makes a difference.
 Yes the stupid will always part with their money, hoping get some great audio revelation from a different colored piece of string.
 But knowing what pieces of kit make the largest improvement to your end signal.. That's the deal.
                                 eg: source($200)-cable($50)-DAC($1200)-cable($50)-AMP($2000)-cable($50)-PHONES($500)..
Now if i really want an edge that i know i can hear quite plainly in my already killer set up it will go more like this..
                                     :source($1000)-cable($100)-DAC($1200)-cable($100)-AMP($2000)-cable($150)-PHONES($500)..
 Cryo does wonders for the sound of things, wooden/alloy channel splitters do not.
 I too LMAO when reading Audiophilre claptrap, in print and here on the web..
 But... if you dont hear the differences between the headphone outs of a soundcard and a High end amplification headphone amp..
Well then this forum or any other sound advice forum may well be the wrong place to waist your time at.
wink_face.gif

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #57 of 58
Haven't heard the hd650 myself (obvious caveat here), but based upon the impressions of people I trust, the short answer is: You don't. A sansa clip will drive the HD650 just as well as the best $2000 solid state amp, though naturally it won't get as loud. The HD650 is no akg k701, and is apparently much easier to drive than most posters here would lead you to believe.

If you get a chance to go to a meet, you could try the amps yourself. If you don't hear a difference (and I don't think you will), just smile and be happy for your wallet.
Rather get a 40$ skullcandy with a cheap Realtek HD soundcard. Pretty stupid question.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #58 of 58
Ordered the fiio q1 mark 2, not sure can it power hd650. Some says yes some says no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back