Ok, who in Team Grado has tried the squashed-pad mod?
Oct 28, 2003 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Inspired by Joelongwood's post below, have you tried this pad mod and what were your impressions?

Quote:

I find the flats to accentuate the already lower-mid heaviness of the RS-1s. The bowls are a bit too strident, though, and that's why I prefer the squashed-pad mod. Place the bowl pads in betwen a couple of very heavy books and leave them there for a few days. They'll be as flat as pancakes, but spring back pretty quickly the first time. I've done mine on and off for over a year now (always have a pair being squashed) and they don't spring back to the full bowl anymore. It's kinda halfway betwen the flats and bowls. To my ears, they sound better than either the bowls or the flats. The high end is tamed and the lower mids are not over emphasized.

Oct 28, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Sadly, my RS-1s have been away since I read JoeLongwoods post so their pads have been safe from any attempts.

EDIT - Speeling!

Oct 31, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 4
Nobody else? Seems like a low overhead mod to try out. Very early trials seem to favor the flat pads over the squashed for comfort. I cannot tell any sonic difference yet. I do hear the decrease in highs with the flats or squashed, comparted to the senns.

Speaking of high frequencies, I just updated my hearing test and one good thing, there was no hearing loss to be seen from two years ago, but my high freq loss is still almost severe in my right, but the left is not that good either. I'm wondering now if this explains my preference for Grados. Normal hearing people get the one hearing test. I get the second one with the doctor and now have an ABR (Auditory Brain Stem Response) scheduled.

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
I'm wondering now if this explains my preference for Grados.

I don't know if that's true. I can hear to 22kHz in my right ear and 21kHz in my left (self-done hearing test on ym audio rig), yet I love my Grados, and they don't sound bright.

I haven't tried the squah mod (or the flat pads) since I like the sound from the bowls and have no comfort issues. I would, if I had a spare set of bowls laying around, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back