OK, we've had Knife-Fi... What about Torch-Fi?
Mar 7, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by damitamit
Whoa!! $2900! Whats the point?!
rolleyes.gif

It only last 1 1/2 hours and takes [size=x-small]20[/size] 123A non-rechargable lithium batteries. I can't think of any practical use for the torch if it lasts that long and needs 20 batteries each time.

or is it one of those "its made just to show we could make it" things. But then again, they say the military use it, so someone must be buying it for practical applications.

Like it says, it's made for military use where conditions warrants it. I don't think it was meant to be a flashlight where you can take it to go camping with and hope it will last for days on a set of batteries. It's meant to be a tactical flashlight mounted to your asssault rifle where you only keep the flashlight lit for short periods when necessary.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #32 of 43
if the beast is for military use, I wonder if the price of it will go down as technology goes forward.
I know the military spends lot's of coin on night vision goggles but I wonder which troops will get this item.
again, to each their own.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #33 of 43
Ahhhh

Now I see my mistake!

I suppose I should have said "Flashlight-Fi"...

I forgot I'm a dumb limey
plainface.gif

Nice links anyway people!

I'm not really a "collector" as such, but I just wondered how many other people liked owning a decent portable light source.

OK, here's my inventory:

1x Single AAA Mag Light (crap)
1x 3 D Cell Mag Light (or "The Club" as I like to call it!)
1x Nondescript Far-Eastern Brand 1w Luxeon Star LED Flashlight (Torch)
1x Inova X1 Single AA LED Flashlight (Torch)
1x VW Toureg Cigar-Lighter-Replacement LED Flashlight (Torch)

Mar 8, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #34 of 43
I like to use my flashlight to play light sabers!
biggrin.gif

http://lapolicegear.com/policestuff/sttltali2.html

i like my baby. 3x cr123's powering a bulb rated at 175-200 lumens. i used to cary it around me on a belt holster, but since that time i accidentally triggered it on while sitting down and quite literally blistered my skin, i just leave it in my cargo pockets in my pants. that thing is just plain bright!

oh, and by the way, cr123's on the cheap: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/.../273/sesent/00

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #35 of 43
I laid hands on a couple of prototype "Beast" lights last year at a Candlepower Forum gathering.

It has an amazing amount of output. We tried it out at night in a very very large field... and it lit up a mountain quite far away (none of the other enormous spot lights came close to the Beast's output)

It was certainly entertaining to play with.

May 27, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OLYMPIC%20TORCH.jpg

Bloody limeys.......

LOL! Next we'll have to have a "post a pic of your lorry" thread.
evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Peters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dad uses a headlamp for shrimping at night
smily_headphones1.gif

good idea. makes it easier to spot the toe-jam in time.

May 28, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #40 of 43
I have a SureFire A2 Aviator w/ white LEDs, and it's been very handy. Walking around the outside of the house, I usually use the LED mode. The incan mode was especially good when a dog tried to bite me...

May 28, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #41 of 43
I have a Fenix 1AA (I think L1P) that I bored out on a lathe to take a CR123. It's blazing bright, much brighter than my Surefire E2e while being half the size and being cheaper to run--plus its dim modes are very handy. I still like the E2e at work though, it's just easier to use with its larger size and pushbutton momentary tailcap.

May 28, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #42 of 43
I first got a few chinese multi-led cheapo-lights, which got me hooked on clean LED light (as opposed to ringed, yellow incandescent light).
Then I got a Fenix L1S, with a Luxeon 1watt LED. Practical, small and useful, but not very bright.

Recently I got one of these, put a 3.6v RCR123 cell in it, and turned it on while (need I even say it) looking straight at the lamp.
The yellow blot I had in my vision for a good few minutes after doing that is a testament to the power of CREE LEDs. The tiny little thing is scarily bright for its size.

I also got one of these. It cost me about a fifth of what I paid for the Fenix L1S about a year ago, but it's brighter and its beam is more pleasant to look at. Pretty impressive for a supercheap chinese knockoff.

May 28, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #43 of 43
Had quite a few rechargable AA and AAAs laying around from the portable amp days, so I visited CPF and picked up a Fenix L2D CE. Gonna grab a LOD CE with 10440 batteries as well for the keychain. Something to wow people with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back