OK use of RCA Y adapters?
May 21, 2015 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

FieldEffect

100+ Head-Fier
This is my proposed setup:

Outputs of computer audio and turntable go to the two inputs on Schiit Sys...
Outputs of Schiit Sys goes to a pair of RCA Y-cables...
Outputs of RCA Y-cables go to active monitors and also to Schiit Magni headphone amp.

Will this work fine?

May 21, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 20
This is my proposed setup:

Outputs of computer audio and turntable go to the two inputs on Schiit Sys...
Outputs of Schiit Sys goes to a pair of RCA Y-cables...
Outputs of RCA Y-cables go to active monitors and also to Schiit Magni headphone amp.

Will this work fine?

It should. Basically you can Y outputs to feed multiple inputs, just not multiple outputs to feed a single input which you don't appear to be doing here.

Also, keep in mind that when you're driving multiple inputs, the output sees the impedances of those two inputs in parallel. So for example, if each of the inputs are 10k ohms, the output will see the combination as 5k ohms. But most input impedances are 10k ohms and higher, and most anything can drive a 5k load impedance.

se

May 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 20
Impedances are what I was worried about. My monitors only have XLR inputs, and I'll be using RCA to XLR cables. I was afraid the input impedance of the monitors might be much lower than the headphone amp and create some sort of unhealthy imbalance.

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that when you're driving multiple inputs, the output sees the impedances of those two inputs in parallel. So for example, if each of the inputs are 10k ohms, the output will see the combination as 5k ohms.

May 21, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 20
Impedances are what I was worried about. My monitors only have XLR inputs, and I'll be using RCA to XLR cables. I was afraid the input impedance of the monitors might be much lower than the headphone amp and create some sort of unhealthy imbalance.

Ah, ok. What's the input impedance on the XLR input? Back in the day it was routinely 600 ohms (which came out of the telephone company) but that's finally falling by the wayside but wouldn't hurt to check. And if you're using an RCA to XLR adapter that only drives half the XLR, then the impedance would be half the specified input impedance.

se

May 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 20
Ah, wow...no idea they were that high. Perhaps a volume box with a 50k pot would be better than 10k. But then going from XLR to RCA should halve the impedance, as you said.

Not sure what you mean by a volume box with a 50k pot. What would be the purpose for that?

Anyway, even at half the impedance, you're fine.

se

May 21, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 20
No, I'd still need the Y splitters. The Y splitters give me two outputs, that box gives me multiple inputs. It's essentially the same function as the Schiit Sys I mentioned in my OP, but it has more inputs and maybe a better pot.

While my headphone amp will have its own volume control, my studio monitors do not. So they need some sort of passive attenuation.

May 21, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 20
No, I'd still need the Y splitters. The Y splitters give me two outputs, that box gives me multiple inputs. It's essentially the same function as the Schiit Sys I mentioned in my OP, but it has more inputs and maybe a better pot.

While my headphone amp will have its own volume control, my studio monitors do not. So they need some sort of passive attenuation.

But the Sys already has volume control. Or did you plan to just keep it turned all the way up?

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back