ok to use grado cartridge on technics?
Mar 22, 2010 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mr.chEn

New Head-Fier
I've got a technics sl 1300 (direct drive) which has a standard removeable headshell mount, and I inquired about a grado cartridge at a local audio store, they told me that grado was not a good choice because there might be some feedback one you get towards the middle of the record, but they did not explain why. Can anybody explain if this is true, and if so, explain why?

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Try it out. I like my grados a bunch on the technics 1200. I would recommend getting a VERY light head shell which can be difficult to find. I have one made of (what appears to be) fiberglass or perhaps nylon that came with a junk-bin cartridge. keep an eye on ebay.

Although I have not tried it, I am intrigued by the KAB tonearm damper for the 1200. It seems like a neat bit of gear.

It makes total sense that they would steer you away from a Grado cartridge. The issue comes from the resonances in the midband of the cash machine, not the record. Allow me a moment to explain. You see when the cash machine drawer in a high fi shop is opened it expects to be loaded down with at least 8 $100 bills, although it works equally well when 16 $50 notes are inserted. This is necessary to dampen some peculiar resonances in the midband of the accounting system. Despite the fact that they weigh the same, the insertion of 8 $20 bills causes an irritating resonance to the owners of hi-fi shops. Depending on the amount of time invested in the sale the resonance may lead to uncontrolled oscillation and outright system failure. The insertion of 16 $10 bills is almost guaranteed to cause instability for a combination of being too little money, and having to take the time to count it. To the casual and unseasoned observer this resonance may not be apparent, but once you have learned how to observe it your life will be changed forever.

Anyways, you made a great and affordable choice with the TT. The hi-fi shop dosnt have anything short of thousands of dollars that competes on the TT front.

PS:
Despite the fact that Technics made nicer tt's in the 70/80's than some of what commands a very high price today they dont belong in the elitists forum. You will get more and better answers in the source forum. I would PM a moderator and ask him/her to move this thread over there.

PPS:
Please accept my joke about high end audio shops as a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back