OK to leave my DAC/Amps on while switching cables?
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Alexnova

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry this may seem like a totally ridiculous question, but after experiencing a booming subwoofer cable I don't want to damage my audio gear. I know there are some guides out there in powering on/off gear in order.

I have a Schiit EITR to a Modi Multibit and then connected to a Schiit Valhalla 2. Is it OK to leave all the devices on, then unplug the SPDIF coaxial cable from the Modi Multibit to my A/V Receiver that powers my loudspeakers? I just don't want to send power over the signal that could somehow damage the internal components of my chain. If you are asking why am I doing this, I only have USB audio output and the EITR only outputs thru SPDIF coaxial. Switching the cable isn't too cumbersome to me, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage.

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 4
I always switch my gear off before changing cables around. i dont trust the devices in protecting themselfs :p

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 4
There are instances where you can blow up a DAC if you are connecting cables with the power on. Depending on the power and grounding scheme supplying the amp and the topology of the DAC, you can sometimes get an electrical charge on the RCA jacks of the amplifier. This can fry a DAC chip. Usually DACs that are very elementary and have a direct AC connection (only coupling capacitors after the DAC chip) are the most susceptible. With amplifiers, switching power supplies seem to cause the most issues.

Bottom line, you should always be careful and switch the power off to both devices.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Sorry this may seem like a totally ridiculous question, but after experiencing a booming subwoofer cable I don't want to damage my audio gear. I know there are some guides out there in powering on/off gear in order.

I have a Schiit EITR to a Modi Multibit and then connected to a Schiit Valhalla 2. Is it OK to leave all the devices on, then unplug the SPDIF coaxial cable from the Modi Multibit to my A/V Receiver that powers my loudspeakers? I just don't want to send power over the signal that could somehow damage the internal components of my chain. If you are asking why am I doing this, I only have USB audio output and the EITR only outputs thru SPDIF coaxial. Switching the cable isn't too cumbersome to me, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage.

Use this from the Eitr to the Modi Multibit and receiver.
https://www.amazon.com/HopCentury-C...coax+switcher&qid=1551193020&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back