OK to charge FiiO E5 with iPod charger?
Jan 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sjino

100+ Head-Fier
I assume it's okay, but I'd hate to blow out the small amp with too much power. The iPod charger is probably 450 to 1000 ma; I don' t know the output of a PC or laptop USB port.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 12
Wait...how would you even plug that in? USB port spec is 100 mA, and then the device says whether it wants up to 500mA (IIRC). I do not know what batter is in that thing, but it should not hurt. The batter should be able to take it at 1A. But please do not quote me on that, as I am only making an educated guess based on my knowledge of batteries.

-Nkk

Jan 23, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Just use a normal USB cable...extremely easy to find....iPod charge, I am assuming the ipod shuffle one. Why? Just use the supplied usb cable.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 12
The iPod charger cable has a USB connector on one end (which plugs into the power unit) and a line out dock connector on the other end (which plugs into the iPod).

I was thinking of using this charger with the supplied E5 cable because it would be MUCH faster than plugging the E5 into a laptop or PC USB port.

For example, I charge my Shuffle plugged into the iPod charger using a cable that has a USB connector on one end and a 1/4 inch plug on the other end which plugs into the Shuffle. Way faster than charging the Shuffle via PC.

However, I don't want to do this if it will harm the E5.

Anyone else have any comments or experiences?

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 12
Wait...ignore my last post. I thought you meant the one you get with the iPhone and plugs into the wall and has a USB port, which means you can use it with any USB cable.

How are you planning on getting the e5 to accept an iPod LOD connector on the end of that cable? Or am I misunderstanding again?

-Nkk

EDIT: to br nit-picky, it has an 1/8 inch plugh (3.5mm), not a 1/4 inch plug.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod charger cable has a USB connector on one end (which plugs into the power unit) and a line out dock connector on the other end (which plugs into the iPod).

I was thinking of using this charger with the supplied E5 cable because it would be MUCH faster than plugging the E5 into a laptop or PC USB port.

For example, I charge my Shuffle plugged into the iPod charger using a cable that has a USB connector on one end and a 1/4 inch plug on the other end which plugs into the Shuffle. Way faster than charging the Shuffle via PC.

However, I don't want to do this if it will harm the E5.

Anyone else have any comments or experiences?

Thanks!

I've used the iPod charger -> USB Cable thing many times with my E5 and it hasn't died yet.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 12
I think he's saying that he wants to use the Fiio cable but with a USB-AC charger.

If so, I've actually never plugged my Fiio into my computer, I've always charged it with a USB charger.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's saying that he wants to use the Fiio cable but with a USB-AC charger.

Exactly right, LeonWho. And thanks for verifying that you haven't blown out your E5 by doing this.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 12
My E5 has never worked with the USB-AC charger. =\
I've only charged it through a computer's USB socket.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Even I usually charge my E5 using the iphone /ipod charger by connecting the USB cable into the AC wall adapter
smily_headphones1.gif
. Charges up very fast and hasn't been damaged till date.Been using it since ~6 months now.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Why won't mine work then? =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back