Ok thinking about a new in ear headphone looked at a number of models, under a $100 would be great
Aug 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

4ktvs

New Head-Fier
I have a thread about a wired over the ear pair though I think I have picked the set I want unless someone can tell me of a better closed set than the Sony MDR7506 that is under a $100 or is really worth putting out a bit more for.

Just a few I have looked into not all under a $100 but if it's really worth it I will extend out from that limit. (All new pricing, will not be buying used.)

1) Shure 215 (Every time I read something about $100 or less in ears those come up so I guess they are good.)

2) Dunu Titan1 (Is this worth it to go $35 over my planned amount to spend?)

3) Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear (Really liked the MM 30G they made and have read good things about them.)

4) Westone W3 (Is this worth going really extreme and putting up $90 more for than what I am planning to spend for a new pair.)

5) Klipsch R6

Any tips or other suggestions would be helpful.

I know saying I want to keep it under $100 and then listing two out of five that go over is bad. I just want something that is a step up from the Sennheiser MM 30G I had.

Mostly into rock/heavy stuff, but do also like other stuff and I plan on using this with video games sometimes.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 12
One thing about a closed over ear headset is that they will tend to be more durable than IEMs, IMO.

This Onkyo headphone is on sale and competed in the ~$150 headphone class: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-CTI300-SS-Headphones-Control/dp/B00G53GJZQ/.

Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 12
One thing about a closed over ear headset is that they will tend to be more durable than IEMs, IMO.

That's definitely true in the under $80 class... Once you get into models with removable cables, such as the shures, they get a lot more durable. My favorite IEM for under 100 at the moment is the zero audio Carbo tenore. It's $35, but to my ears, it sounds better than the se215, which I'm very familiar with. It has better bass extension, with a little more oomph. The mids are more forward and detailed, despite the shure house sound, and treble is slightly rolled off, but imo that keeps them from being fatiguing or sibilant.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 12
Please tell my teenage son that. He managed to tear up his VSONIC VSD3S without any trouble whatsoever, despite their removable cable (sigh)

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 12
Please tell my teenage son that. He managed to tear up his VSONIC VSD3S without any trouble whatsoever, despite their removable cable (sigh)
sub $80 :wink: I've never actually had a vsonic in hand, but the shures feel really really solid... May I ask what your son did that got them torn up? And what all was broken on them?

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Ummm...he's a teenage boy. Who knows what he did? (lol) But it wasn't the cable that got messed up.

Could have been like my pre-teen son who has managed to destroy every pair of headphones he's owned (the last ones by leaving them in his pocket and having them go through the laundry).

He's now been told that he will earn the money for his next pair and buy them himself, though I doubt this will make much difference in how he treats them.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Could have been like my pre-teen son who has managed to destroy every pair of headphones he's owned (the last ones by leaving them in his pocket and having them go through the laundry).

He's now been told that he will earn the money for his next pair and buy them himself, though I doubt this will make much difference in how he treats them.

My son has destroyed Rokit R50s, JVC FXT90, and several less expensive pair. For some reason, Soundmagic E10s have held up better than anything else. I might get him the Soundmagic E50 for his birthday since the construction seems similar.

My son likes to wear his IEMs with only in his ear and one hanging so he can talk and hear other things, so I know that is part of the problem. Perhaps I should wrap duct tape around the strain relief :D

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 12
That's definitely true in the under $80 class... Once you get into models with removable cables, such as the shures, they get a lot more durable. My favorite IEM for under 100 at the moment is the zero audio Carbo tenore. It's $35, but to my ears, it sounds better than the se215, which I'm very familiar with. It has better bass extension, with a little more oomph. The mids are more forward and detailed, despite the shure house sound, and treble is slightly rolled off, but imo that keeps them from being fatiguing or sibilant.

Thank you for the suggestion, might go for that one and see if it feels like an upgrade before dropping too much money. The reviews on that one seem really good.

I will likely read some more reviews on it though.

This Onkyo headphone is on sale and competed in the ~$150 headphone class: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-ES-CTI300-SS-Headphones-Control/dp/B00G53GJZQ/.

Here's a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300

With so many choices I am not sure something that had so many complaints on the amazon store page with 3 star and below reviews is a good idea. I am thankful for the suggestion and might look up other reviews on it.  

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 12

They seem very good thanks for the suggestion. I just worry some about if they break as $35 isn't a ton it would still suck if they broke in less than a year and not be able to ship it back to the OEM for repair. Guess it's much better than spending $90 or $100 on a set like I was thinking before to get a big step up from the Sennheiser MM 30G that only me had I guess. LOL

I have to say they have handled the repair request well as they are paying for shipping and have agreed to fix them for free as they should due to being less than 6 months old.

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #11 of 12
The Sony V6 and 7506 are very similar, except that the 7506 has a slightly more powerful magnet, and is said to brighter, while the V6 is said to have more bass. I have had the V6 for over 25 years, but never heard the 7506. These headphones will likely make your ears overheat, which is why velour earpads are available to decrease the overheating, however they also decrease the isolation. There are even sheapskin leather earpads available for it.There are many who have a V6 or 7506 that works fine after 25 years, although the earpads needed to be replaced. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886945-REG/Auray_epd_mdr7506_Deluxe_Velour_Earpads_Pair.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888545-REG/Auray_eps_mdr7506_Genuine_Sheepskin_Leather_Earpads.html

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 12

Went to best buy and tried on some head phones, decided I really don't like on ear headphones for a number of reasons.

Maybe I will get a V6 instead of the 7506 even though it does cost a little over a $100 as far as I know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back