Ok, the last attempt at stepping up from my Senn HD518s (this time a list to provide a jump off point at least)
Jun 26, 2015 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

100+ Head-Fier
I’ve been looking to upgrade my headphones for months now and it has turned out to be about the hardest audio thing to do ever. I’m looking to step up from my Sennheiser HD518

I don’t use headphones much at all and especially not during warm/hot weather. I also can’t seem to wear headphones for long periods, I’m generally good for about 10 to 15 minutes tops. That may have to change because of something I will be doing involving serious listening. I generally plug headphones straight into an amp/receiver.

The hard part is that there is no place to demo headphones. Sure I can do the whole purchase on internet thing, try them and return them, but that will only result in frustration after all is said and done. I’d have to order from different places so as not to exceed returns policies, plus try to find all who carries what I want to try, then pay shipping both ways and restock fees. The shipping probably would not be bad, but added to the restock fees and multiplied by say six, it would eat up all monies for the phones and I would end up with nothing unless I got lucky the first time. (I don’t have that kind of luck).

I’ve been at this for months, so I am giving it one last shot. My revised plan in desperation is to wait until around November and see what goes on sale and then just closing my eyes and picking one from whatever list I have unless something better happens first or just staying with the HD518s once and for all. Investment headphones ($400 and up as I consider them) would be a waste for someone like me.

So here is what I am looking for: I have a budget of up to a max of around $200. I am willing to stretch that by say $50 to $75 if need be.

I’m looking for a pair of headphones that are well balanced in sound with a bit more width in staging compared to my HD518s.

I listen to all kinds of music with few exceptions. Basically, I need something than deals well with Prog rock, classic rock, folk, blues, jazz, full symphony classical and everything in between. 
I like tight, detailed musical bass, not boom boom, loose cannons and such. I also don’t like shrill tinny sound. 

They must be the around the ear style and comfortable and no leather or vinyl ear pads (some models one can get replacement pads to their liking, so that opens a few more windows). I prefer the cloth or velour or whatever that stuff is

I prefer open, but have no problem also considering closed. 

Also if any cans suggested require a headphone amp that’s fine too, there are enough affordable amps out there to provide choice I can save up for since I won’t be using the phones until maybe September/October.

So far on my list of considering are:
Sennheiser HD280 Pro, HD598, HD558
AKG K550, K240, K702, Q701
Shure SRH840, SRH440
Beyerdynamic DT660, DT770 Pro 250 ohm or 80 ohm, DT-150-250, DT-250 80 ohm, DT990 Pro 250 ohm
Grado Prestige SR225e
Audio Technica ATH-AD900x, ATH-MSR7GM
Yamaha HPH-MT220

Takstar HI2050 (This may be dropped soon as it seems not right to me and I’ve never heard of the name)

(Other models currently out of range but would consider if on sale = Sennheiser HD650, HD 600, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, Philips X2/27 Fidelio, Shure SRH 940, AKG K701, K712)

Problem is that I have only had the opportunity to try the HD558s and HD600s (through a bad amp) and none of the others outside of the Philips and a prototype AKG.

Are one of these from the above list an absolute standout that would provide me what I seek? Any other ones or suggestions I don’t know about, please inform.

Unless anyone knows of a place that has a sort of home trial program like those eyeglass sites do where they send you 4 to 6 frames, you have 7 days to try them and then send them back. That would be good, but I’m dreaming, I know.

My biggest question may be what ever happened to the days when one could walk into a stereo shop try 18 pairs of headphones if one wanted and walk out with a purchase of confidence.

Thank you.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd suggest the HD558 or HD598.  Very balanced and neutral and comfortable.  I wear mine 6 to 8 hours a day 5 days a week or more.  Both are within your budget with room to spare.  I listen to hard rock and metal if that helps.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 12
  I'd suggest the HD558 or HD598.  Very balanced and neutral and comfortable.  I wear mine 6 to 8 hours a day 5 days a week or more.  Both are within your budget with room to spare.  I listen to hard rock and metal if that helps.

Well, the 558 sounds a little different than my 518s, I think a bit more balanced, but audio memory being what it is, i don't remember what the staging or imaging was like. I have not heard the 598s and won't be anytime soon.
I don't listen to hard rock/metal. If I did, I'd think any set of cans would do the job. In fact, I bet my 518s would be well compatible to that genre. Almost wish I had them back when I listened to a lot of that. Nothing wrong with those genres mind you, I'm just not into them anymore.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 12
  Well, the 558 sounds a little different than my 518s, I think a bit more balanced, but audio memory being what it is, i don't remember what the staging or imaging was like. I have not heard the 598s and won't be anytime soon.
I don't listen to hard rock/metal. If I did, I'd think any set of cans would do the job. In fact, I bet my 518s would be well compatible to that genre. Almost wish I had them back when I listened to a lot of that. Nothing wrong with those genres mind you, I'm just not into them anymore.

+1, when I listened the 518 it sounds different to the 558 (558 sounds better though) but I think that is not worth buy the 558 when you have the 518 already. The logical improvement are the fidelio x2, it costs 300 dollars but you can buy a used pair for 240.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 12
558/598 don't sound like the 518 much at all which is a little strange so that could be all the upgrade you truly need. Soundstage and imagine and non-muddy bass/mids and more treble being an immediate upgrade from the 518s

I still like the fidelio X1 more tho, but that's cuz of the extra bass.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 12
  +1, when I listened the 518 it sounds different to the 558 (558 sounds better though) but I think that is not worth buy the 558 when you have the 518 already. The logical improvement are the fidelio x2, it costs 300 dollars but you can buy a used pair for 240.

I heard the Fidelio X2 briefly (or maybe it was the x1, I'm not sure now) and found the bass to be on the loose side, did not really impress me from what I remember, but that is not to be trusted either. On those, I would definitely have to demo instead of taking a chance. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 12
558/598 don't sound like the 518 much at all which is a little strange so that could be all the upgrade you truly need. Soundstage and imagine and non-muddy bass/mids and more treble being an immediate upgrade from the 518s

I still like the fidelio X1 more tho, but that's cuz of the extra bass.

That's what I'm kind of thinking. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 12

What exactly is that "something"?  Have you ever bought from them?

No, just the way it works and such gives me pause. I can't pin down exactly what it is. It's not the shipping wait time or anything like that. Just a gut feeling making me not so comfortable using them and it's always best to go with your gut in my opinion. There may well be nothing to worry about, but I'm staying with my decision.

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 12
I used to own the HD518 and my step up from there was a second hand HD580 which is sonically almost identical to the HD600. The improvement was clearly audible and I think it's a headphone anyone should try at some point. It performs incredibly well at it's price range. I got it for $120, but with the current market it might be a bit more expensive.

At the same time, I used to own the K550, but that was just a different flavour, not really an overall improvement. Now I own the K553 and it's very good, just not that far ahead from the HD518.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back