OK so what to buy from China?
Dec 7, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeliao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qufu Lu and Xizhang Lu on the second floor of the stationary store is where most of the audio dealers are. 1 store specialized in headphone stuff but nothing special and not much inventory. Lots of other shops selling domestic and imported stuff. Need to negotiate prices. Knock-off's in cheap electronics are a problem but don't see as much in higher quality audio gear.

Buynow in Xujiahui has some audio stores on the 3rd floor. A few specialized in headphones but just the generic Sennheiser and AT cans and G+W amps.

If you're searching specifically for headphone stuff, take a day trip to Nanjing and visit dowinaudio (www.dowinaudio.com). They have everything, and I do mean everything. From exotic HE90 and R10 to your average HD650 and RS1 and Stax to your generic ipod buds and Koss plugs. Not everything is for sale though. I've tried to buy that HE90 countless times, but the owner is keeping it for himself.

now that's one place with good gear. All Chinese, most sound quite good for the money!!! Tube galore
k1000smile.gif
Although most don't sound nearly as nice as conrad Johnson ...
k1000smile.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
China has a huge market of cut-out CDs, notably from Japan and France. These are perfectly legit and you can find stuff that are not easily available.

I don't buy cutout CD because sometimes it can damage your CDP. and that's a big nono

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #18 of 21
buy the infamous bright red mao t-shirt!!! i want one!

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 21
Had a few people ask me about head-fi shopping in Shanghai. Best bet now is the av2000 shop in Shanghai Elephas mentioned. They carry most of the Chinese DACs everyone's searching for, along with headphone amps and the Yu-something Chinese headphones. Relatively easy to get to, 4th floor of the Pacific Computer Center, tucked away in one of the corners. The building is next to the Intercontinal hotel in Pudong. Take a cab to the Intercontinal or try the subway to dongfang lu and walk. Store owner speaks English too, so makes shopping much easier.

Nanjing shop still the most comprehensive if you can make it out there.

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #21 of 21
Buy some tea. My wife goes once a year for work. Of all the things she brings back, tea is my favorite. Top grade green tea is nothing like what you get here. Dragon Well is one of my favorites.

I also like some of the flower teas. I've forgotten the Chinese name but in English it is Seven Treasures Tea -- that's a cheap one you get at a supermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back