OK, So what is your REAL WORLD battery life with your 4g iPod?
Aug 17, 2004 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pov

Head-Fier
I've had my 4g 20 gig iPod for about three weeks now. I've charged it twice. I have about 5 gigs of music on it, most encoded in MP3 with LAME APS. I do some, but not a lot, of skipping through songs. I don't use EQ. After my initial load, I have loaded 2-4 albums worth of songs between each charge.

I use the iPod for about one to one and one half hours a day, during my commute.

So far, I have found that over the course of a week or so I am getting about 6-7 hours of playing time before the indicator reads no charge (I haven't waited for the battery to actually die).

Care to post what your 4g gives you in the real world?

Aug 18, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pov

Care to post what your 4g gives you in the real world?

On my 4G 40GB, 12-13 hours on a full charge. I sometimes charge it, then stow it for 6-7 days, then use it again all day... then, around 10 hours or so before no joy...

AL and 320 AACs only; around 17 GB, total.

Aug 18, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't fully tested it, but I've been listening for about 6.5-7 hours with some skipping, and no backlight, and I have a little more than 1/4 on the battery life indicator. Keep in mind, I just got it 2 days ago and this is my first time using it heavily (now that I got a case) so I haven't broken in the battery yet.

Aug 18, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the responses. It would help if you posted the length of time over which you do this listening. For example, I can see getting 11-12 hours over 2 days, but since the iPod continues to use power after it is turned "off" I think that actual playing time may be reduced over the course of a week or more.

Aug 19, 2004 at 9:07 AM Post #7 of 8
My 20gb 4g iPod lasts almost 13 hours if I leave it playing overnight, closer to 11-12 when I'm using it during the day. The 11-12 hours will probably take 2 or 3 days. Keep in mind though, I keep the backlight turned off and only use it very occasionally at night when I'm too lazy to turn on the lights. Also, I might spend a bit of time searching around for songs to make a on the go playlist, but once I start playing, I just listen, aside from the occasional skipping of tracks and volume adustment (btw, sound check is off as well). Mostly listen to 320 EAC/Lame mp3s, everything else is 192+. About 4 gigs filled up at the moment. Also, I tend to keep the volume fairly high, anywhere from 70-100%. The battery definitely drains even when not in use, though I couldn't tell you how much exactly. I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to force a true power down rather than sleep mode, not sure where though.

the Judge

Aug 19, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 8
damn, how much mAh is in the 4g ipod batteries. I really need to get my 3g to work more hours. The replacements are 840mAh, I was wondering how much the 4g ipods have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back