Ok slap me for here I go for a 400 range :)
Nov 30, 2004 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MartinJ

500+ Head-Fier
Set up
Ipod Photo
PORTA CORDA MkII IF needed

Going for around 400, thanks to the low dollar value
smily_headphones1.gif

Music:
Rock
Reggae
Punk
Elton John type (Piano)
Metall
Accoustic
Ska

Any tips?

Nov 30, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 14
hmm, cans for $400 in a portable rig? It sounds like something a canalphone should be in the running for. i'm no expert in canals, i only know that the shure e5c or something runs in that price range? bah i'm not helpful.

Nov 30, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 14
well, then get the sennheiser hd580 or grado sr225 for home use and the sennheiser hd 25 or one of the beyers for portable. I think thats the best way to go.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
well, then get the sennheiser hd580 or grado sr225 for home use and the sennheiser hd 25 or one of the beyers for portable. I think thats the best way to go.

Both of those are open.

Hrm, I would second canal phones, but since you hate them. . .

I'd suggest the beyerdynamic 280-250s.

There is also an audiotechnica closed headphone that is supposed to be very good, but having never heard it I can't recommend it. . . or even remember the model name for you
frown.gif

Anyone?

Out of curiosity why do you have canal phones? If it's a comfort thing, which canal phones and which tips have you tried? Generally, canal phones can become VERY comfortable if you're willing to experiment with various tips and fit configurations. I think canal phones are probably the most comfortable can there are just due to the sheer transparency of them. Also one of the few cans you can use in bed comfortably. Additionaly, they make great portable cans, as they have the best sound quality for the size and are always portable. The only other cans I've put on my head that are as comfortable are the sony 3ks, but, those are far from portable and can't use them when laying down very well. Either way, my suggestion is still canal phones unless you've seriously tried various styles and fits.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
Both of those are open.

I kind of missed that...
redface.gif

I dont know what cans are in the 400$ range [except cd3k] and are closed. Are you sure you need closed phones for home use?

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 14
Given your musical tastes I'd choose either the Sennheiser HD25-1, or one of the Ultrasone models, although none of those will get you near your $400 limit. That's just overkill, dude. What's next? Portable K1000 setup?
biggrin.gif

Edit: *slap*

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
I'd suggest the beyerdynamic 280-250s.

To Beyerdynamic, I suppose - as that model doesn't exist (yet).
wink.gif
If you happen to mean the DT250/250, yes, that's a nice closed headphone. And the PortaCorda II would be a worthwhile addendum for the DT250/250.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 30, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 14
I have the hd25. IMO, it's the best portable closed headphone. The Ultrasones may work alright, but I had the exact same decision to make at one point. Ultimately I decided that the combination of: extra weight, heat (they get hot after running for a while), and size make the Ultrasone not as good as the hd25. I want something that can easily be around my neck for the whole school day, which is another big reason I chose the hd25 over the Ultrasone. I really hate that there's not much in this category of closed portable headphones, even though that's what a ton of people need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back