ok just got my brand spanking new 60GB Photo Ipod? what do I do next?
Apr 26, 2005 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

finally succumbed and bought the 60GB photo ipod here. I have it charging, tell me what to watch out for and how not to erase every single MP3 I have while syncing. Also which one do you recommend, Ephpod or Itunes?

I also remember reading that ipod doesn't scroll album names, so how do you name albums that have long names?

Some hints regarding how to add performer info as well and still keep album info manageable.

look forward to hearing from you guys.

regards
Kunwar

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 23
I think you'll find what your looking for at www.ipodlounge.com
Enjoy your new purchase
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 23
Congrats kunwar. Since they're rarely used for anything else, the comments and grouping fields are great for additional info. Composer too, if you're not using it for Classical, etc. I'm not familiar what's on the PC side to easily manage album art (gotta use that Photo feature), but as mentioned, look around iPodlounge, iPoding and a software site like VersionTracker.

Usually the big question is what bitrate/codec? So what did you decide on - MP3, AAC or ALAC?

Also take a peak at the Buyers Guide in my sig. Gotta tempt you with more purchases.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 23
Time to start ripping/encoding your cd collection with iTunes. Do yourself a favor and do some of your own listening tests to decide on a bitrate before you get too far into it. Re-encoding sucks.

Also, I'd recommend turning off the auto-sync. That's how most people loose their collections. If you delete a song from iTunes and then sync, it deletes it off the iPod. Sometimes people don't realize that until they've reformatted their harddrive and then they've lost everything.

One last suggestion. Check out a program called iPod Agent. It's free and allows you to transfer your music.

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 23
thanks for the hints guys,
Currently am looking at adding the music already built up here. about 28 GB's worth of MP3's so encoding will take a long long time.
I need something capapble of just uploading stuff without screwing up the setup of the albums and artists on it.
Would ephpod be a better solution as Itunes seems to organise files in Artist/album format on my harddisk.

Look forward to some info on this.

Blessingx, right now only thing I want is a good protector and am leaning toward the iskin clear version.

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
I need something capapble of just uploading stuff without screwing up the setup of the albums and artists on it.
Would ephpod be a better solution as Itunes seems to organise files in Artist/album format on my harddisk.

Anapod works really well (take your time and read the Omnitome here: http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/support/tome/), hell - one can even drag-and-drop or right-click-send-to-iPod with it
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
Also, I'd recommend turning off the auto-sync. That's how most people loose their collections. If you delete a song from iTunes and then sync, it deletes it off the iPod. Sometimes people don't realize that until they've reformatted their harddrive and then they've lost everything.

My son lived through this horror with his 20gb iPod. He had several problems with the auto sync.

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar

It does that by default but you can disable the "Keep my Library Organized" (or whatever it's called) option.

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
blessingx, why didn't you suggest LoadPod?
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117175

wink.gif

Yeah as others have said, just use manual updating (or selective automatic) in iTunes. Although it would suck to lose your music, I haven't heard many horror stories except when someone auto synced with an empty library (or one missing specific music). Just remember that iTunes always takes priority. If it isn't there, it won't be on the iPod (if auto synced).

I happen to be a fan of how iTunes handles tags, but to each their own. That's why I let iTunes 'manage' tracks. I like to keep things clean and organized (don't know how others use disorganized/missing tags all over their library). They only problem I've had is on some audio book files with names like 01 Assassination Vacation, 02 Assassination Vacation, etc. if you have 'create trackname with number' clicked and reimport the files in the future it can end up 01 01 Assassination Vacation, 02 02 Assassination Vacation, etc. Again that's the worst I've seen with iTunes on now six computers (PC and Mac) and four iPods. But as viator122 said, keep iTunes from 'managing' and load up your player and test with a few albums later to see which you prefer.

Apr 26, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 23
Thanks for the hint guys, The good thing is that I have here an Iriver 140 as well on which I backed up all my tracks and just copied back the previous structure. Have turned off the organise feature. Also am currently using Ephpod and it seems to be working a treat.
BTW the white earphones that come with the ipod sound not too bad out of the Iriver. Not the ety but fun enough.
If you come across something that might be helpful further please feel free to post, I quite like the interface, sounds nice, Am thinking of boosting the volume using Eupod to get decent sound output using the Ety 4S, a sik din however is defintiely a purchase for the future. BTW, the pocketdock from what I have read previously is not recommended, anyone have experience with the newer ipod photos.

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Ok guys,

Just got the evo2 iskin for the ipod in Arctic/clear. it fits the player as I expected it to, i.e, tight and clingy on all the right places.

Next question is in regards to getting the line out sorted. What do you guys recommend, the pockedock or ram din/normal din from Sik.

Impressions with the current version of pocketdock/din would help.

Kunwar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back