ok, is the phillips HDD100 avialible? if not now, when??
Jul 17, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 58
Anyone know how big is it compared to an ipod?

Jul 17, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 58
Why do you want to buy a untried and unproven product? Philips has very little in the way of real advanced development (like many companies they don't trust their own r&d and need to see things validated externally before trying something new).

It isn't surprising that these guys are in a following mode. None of them have a commanding figure like Steve Jobs. I would wait and see what people think before spending your money on one. My guess is that the iPod will still be the better choice. It is in its 3rd generation and is pretty polished while I am sure the Philips will have some small problems with their as it is a new release. Looks like an evil iPod. If you just gotta...

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=349360

Jul 17, 2003 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 58
So, 15 Gb w/ direct recording capability. Very interesting, I must say. 5 mw/ch sounds wimp to me. No information on the battery life. I have an iPod, and that 8 to 10 hours batt life is just not cutting it for me. The phillips seem like a better deal to the iRiver though.

Jul 18, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Why do you want to buy a untried and unproven product? Philips has very little in the way of real advanced development (like many companies they don't trust their own r&d and need to see things validated externally before trying something new).

It isn't surprising that these guys are in a following mode. None of them have a commanding figure like Steve Jobs. I would wait and see what people think before spending your money on one. My guess is that the iPod will still be the better choice. It is in its 3rd generation and is pretty polished while I am sure the Philips will have some small problems with their as it is a new release. Looks like an evil iPod. If you just gotta...

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=349360

biggrin.gif

come next paycheck (tuesday) it will be mine!!! if all else fails, i can sell it for a good amount

Jul 18, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 58
F$%# multilingual support, its just a waste of internal memory that could have been used as a buffer memory.

Jul 18, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by White Knight
F$%# multilingual support, its just a waste of internal memory that could have been used as a buffer memory.

exactly. those are 32 well spent megabytes!

also, this is EXACTLY like an ipod... same hdd, anyway.

Jul 18, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by White Knight

i was just making a matter of fact comment, is it really necessary to put down foreign languages and saying that the memory used for them in electronics are a waste?

for your information, chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world, which the hdd100 doesn't support. chinese is spoken by 885 million, compared to 332 million who speak spanish (#2) and 322 million for english (#3). the stats for english AND spanish combined don't even touch chinese.

so just admit that the philips is an inferior unit, that it doesn't have the capability to support the most widely used language in the world. just look at iriver--all but a few of their units support 37 different languages. it does look good, but looks hardly get you anywhere in this world anymore.

Jul 18, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by deejayshakur
i was just making a matter of fact comment, is it really necessary to put down foreign languages and saying that the memory used for them in electronics are a waste?

for your information, chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world, which the hdd100 doesn't support. chinese is spoken by 885 million, compared to 332 million who speak spanish (#2) and 322 million for english (#3). the stats for english AND spanish combined don't even touch chinese.

so just admit that the philips is an inferior unit, that it doesn't have the capability to support the most widely used language in the world. just look at iriver--all but a few of their units support 37 different languages. it does look good, but looks hardly get you anywhere in this world anymore.

phillips prolly releases them regionally...

it would be nice if the unti had multi-lingual support, but is it really that big a deal??? no!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back