Ok I'm officialy lost... I need advice
Oct 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

musik_lover

Head-Fier
Well after posting threads asking for comparisons of headphones I thought met my requirements (by my own un-educated guessing) and reading countless different threads about what others wanted (that never exactly matched what I wanted), I can now say, I am completely lost and need some help...

Before I go any further I want to make clear that I am planning to get 1 pair of headphones so there is NO BUDGET And also, I would prefer headphones that you can buy new (unlike L3000, ED9, etc.)

As I've said before, I want bass (I am a basshead obviously) but since I am only going to buy 1 pair of headphones I want the bass to be as perfect as possible.

I don't want muddy, definitely not. I want the best quality bass (tight, controlled, DEEP) but I want it to have that (BOOM) that powerful, punch when needed but not at the expense of being muddy, ugly or all out of wack.

So forget the mids, forget the highs, those are the least important... I just want the cans that can reproduce bass the MOST accurate but not at the expense of having that POWER/PUNCH that those cheap, muddy headphones give.

If this exists, please someone, steer me in the right direction... Money is no object I just want something that fits the bill...

Thanks everyone for being patient with my ignorant self
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the uber bass cans that I have owned and loved are ultrasone editiion 9 and Grado PS1. Both are fantastic, but very different from each other. ed9's are closed.

Huh, that's very interesting you say that. I read some thread and someone said they auditioned the ed9's for 20 minutes or so and said he couldn't hear any bass notes...Are the ed9's even available to buy anywhere anymore?

I hadn't considered the PS1's thank you for that suggestion.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 21
Sony R10 bass heavy version and Audio Techinca L3000. You did say no budget.
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 21
Sony R10? I typed it out?... And both if them can/only be brought used, but expect OMG price tag.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 21
HA sorry I missed the word "Sony"... So I have to buy these used.

Any other suggestions of other headphones? I have heard ed9's mentioned but not ed8's.... I read a review of the ed8's on head-fi and they said the bass was "wow". But it was not comapred to ED9, R-10, etc. and I don't know if has the power/punch I'm looking for when reproducing bass.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 21
D7000 is a good choice too, but don't except L3000 level.

I still think L3000 fits you the most, only if you can find them.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 21
So doing some looking I found the L3000's for $700... Is that price good enough taht I should go ahead and buy them?

Are others in agreement that these meet the bass requirements I mentioned in my original post?

EDIT: Ah never mind, those were NOT the l-3000 mis-labeled
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 21
L3000 @ $700.... I would buy ten thousand of them and sell 9999 of them. (Although only 500 is made...)

L3000 is about $3000+ iirc.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 21
Alright so up to now, the L3000 is the most advised for my needs...

Any other opinions? Maybe a headphone that meets my requirements and can easily be bought? Meaning, is not so rare that I have to get lucky to find an auction on ebay from a japanese seller
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D7000 is a good choice too, but don't except L3000 level.

I still think L3000 fits you the most, only if you can find them.

I heard D7000 have amazing bass "quality" and hit every low frequency note wonderfully but they don't have that powerful punch (BOOM)... Is that not true?

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 21
How are you going to know that XYZ has what you're looking for versus ABC if you only buy one pair off of a bunch of online suggestions?

All of these opinions are very subjective to the individual listener, and some may be just full of second hand information.

You will always be wondering "what if" unless you audition multiple headphones. That is also to say, if what you have in your mind that you're looking for even exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back