Ok, I'm a wuss: the 580's HURT!
Aug 25, 2001 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rodchenko

New Head-Fier
Wow, I know everyone loves these things to death, and I have to admit the sound is phenomenal, but these things HURT! I've adjusted them and they still feel as if two muscle-bound men are pushing at the sides of my head. I'm used to my supraural sennheiser 455's being light as a feather and having no, tension whatsoever. I can wear those headphones for hours without noticing. The only reason I don't remove the 580's immediately is that I'm so into the music I forget the pain
very_evil_smiley.gif
but I'm not sure that's going to cut it long term. Advice?

Aug 25, 2001 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 16
carefully bend the headband outwards... slowly stretch it outwards., hold for a few seconds, and slowly let it come back into place... If its not enough the first time, do it a few more times...

do this at your own risk btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 16
yeah, they do clamp hard. Would it have killed sennheiser to give their phones a nice, comfy, pressure-less headband like my AKG's?
biggrin.gif

Anyhoo, I agree with thomas; you have to bend the headband. I know there are a few other people who have done this, but be careful! I know I don't need to say that though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2001 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 16
Maybe its all to do with headshape...

Even though I would have presumed that all of the headbands for Senns would be made in the same factory using the same moulding press, my HD565s squeeze my head a helluva lot more than my HD580s... and if you consider that I've had my 565s since 1993/4 and loved them dearly until i found these headphone forums, its something you forget about (get used to?) over time. Although going back to the 565s after using the 580s, well, thats a different story..........

Aug 25, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 16
I really think this is manufacturing variance. My 580s were the most comfortable things ever. I tried someone else's 600s and they felt pretty much the same. But when I got my own 600s they were vise-like! I've seen similar experiences here on the board -- some people think they are too tight, others love them.

That said, my 600s have "loosened" up on their own over time...

Aug 25, 2001 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 16
I had the same trouble with my 580s. (I guess my head is too big!) Here is how you can loosen them up.

DO NOT TRY TO BEND THE PLASTIC BAND!!!
eek.gif

Pull the cups as far out as they will go from the plastic band exposing the thin metal band that slides into them. You can safely bend them outward (gently, you only need to do this ever so slightly!) and them slide them back to fit your head. Again just slightly bend the metal and slide them back to fit. You might have to do this a few times if the fit is not right but I got good results doing it this way. Just take your time and remember do not try to bend the plastic band!

Good Luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 16
Heh, if anything, I wish my 580s would clamp harder! As it is now, they're a bit loose and have a tendency to slide down on the top of my head.

Aug 28, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 16
ok dhwilkin, let's trade. No, I just can't decide whether to break them in, or sell them while they're brand new. So far I haven't bent them at all, I'm sure they'll bend a little over time, but I think for whatever reason I prefer the headband type (like the AKGs) - though the weight of hi-fi headphones is just greater than what I'm used to...

If anyone's dying for a new pair of 580's and has something comfy to trade, email me at krisblade666@hotmail.com
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 28, 2001 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 16
If you think the 580s are too heavy now, don't even consider getting the Clou cables for them!

Aug 28, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

580s are too heavy now

Jeepers!
eek.gif
If that's the case, then the Grado HP-1000's will break your neck and cripple you for life with it's might metal power!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I feel that both of these headphones are super light (yes, even the HP-2's, and the AKG's 501 are even lighter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 16
You think HD-580s are uncomfortable? Just try the AKG K1000 or Grados!

After the pads on the 580s break-in, they'll be very comfortable. Extending the band farther (pull more band out) also loosens the fit.

--Andre

Apr 26, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by AndreYew
You think HD-580s are uncomfortable? Just try the AKG K1000 or Grados!

After the pads on the 580s break-in, they'll be very comfortable. Extending the band farther (pull more band out) also loosens the fit.

--Andre

But with the Grado's, I've been able to adjust the metal headband to have the drivers rest lightly and comfortably on my ears. Try doing that with a carbon or plastic headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back