OK I know what I want now in an IEM - suggestions please
May 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jddesigned

Head-Fier
OK I have M6's and won some Kicker EB141's. Love what the M6's do all around for the price, but the one thing I notice with the Kicker's and classical music is how much wider/bigger they sound - it's like you're there in the hall/theater. The little extra bass they have seems to help too. I've also had a chance to listen to some Senns 595 cans at work and have discovered the joys of detail and imaging. The kickers suck pretty bad at isolation and microphonics so they're nothing I really get much use out of.

So here's the list of important things in no particular order:
- good to great isolation (m6 aren't bad) I commute on the subway
- low microphonics
- great bass
- wide soundstage (I think this is what I described above)
- some pretty decent detail and imaging
- under $100
- unamped

I realize their may be some compromises for the price but let's see what we can come up with. I've read all the reviews here and it's so hard to narrow this search down.

May 11, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Maybe look into the Monster Turbines. I have the Pro Golds but i hear the regular turbines are still very good.

As far as your criteria goes i think they should give you:

- Great isolation (At least the Pro's do)
- Great Bass
- Good detail and imaging
- Under $100
- Un-amped.

Not sure about microphonics and soundstage. Someone else will chime in

May 11, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 7
CKS70, Hippo VB, Eterna, EX500 and HJE900.

May 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet:

- good to great isolation - check
- low microphonics - check
- great bass - check
- wide soundstage - big check
- some pretty decent detail and imaging - check
- under $100 - yes
- unamped - check

May 11, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
CKS70, Hippo VB, Eterna, EX500 and HJE900.

The CKS70 would actually be a pretty terrible option, as far as isolation and detail/imaging go. The bass is good but I don't really think they are suitable for the OP. I can't say anything about the other options..

May 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet:

- good to great isolation - check
- low microphonics - check
- great bass - check
- wide soundstage - big check
- some pretty decent detail and imaging - check
- under $100 - yes
- unamped - check

These were on my radar and glad to hear they check so many boxes. From reading the forums had kinda concluded that Hippo VB's
may do the trick as well. Looks like the Fischer's are more readily available in Canada so I may go that route, they sure review well on here.

May 12, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, Fisher will surprise.  I think the Bullet and Eterna are some great examples of stellar budget priced products.  I have the Eterna, and I know I prefer them over many of the higher priced earphones I've used.  Some of the differences might include more bass for the Eterna but wider sound stage for the Silver Bullet.  Read up on both and other options and see if one might favor your tastes better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back