OK, hybrid DVD-A launched
Feb 4, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 7
Could they give us a disk that had DVD-A, SACD, and RedBook on it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Could they give us a disk that had DVD-A, SACD, and RedBook on it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sure, CD on one side of the outside, DVD-Audio on the other, SACD on the inside of one side and Blu-Ray on the inside of the other side....
tongue.gif

Man, I've been waiting for this to start buying DVD-Audio again, I hope this means there will be a few more release recorded this century!

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Here's the info at High Fidelity Review on the DualDisc.

Yes, Sony is involved as well. However, their DualDisc is only CD/DVD-V. No DVD-A will be released by Sony Music.

If this thing pans out the way it is going, Sony will have Warner for breakfast. i.e. dualdisc, with a Hybrid SACD on one side and a full DVD-V on the other side. i.e. a neat way introducing full video into SACD whilst guaranteeing 100% backwards compatibility.
cool.gif
and a sucker punch at the competition. somehow I think this will be an own goal for DVDA in that they will have expedited a technology that provides more benefit for the competition since it may allow them to provide full video whilst DVD-A is stuck with stills and short clips. And to add insult to injury, the SACD camp will still have the upper hand in user friendliness. Since the Dual Disc is neatly divided into Audio side and Video side
cool.gif
. oh boy, this does not look good.

EDIT: more info.

Feb 4, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 7
theaudiohobby,

I agree with you. Even if Sony doesn't introduce a hybrid SACD layer, by putting its own spin (DVD-V and CD and sorry for the pun) on the DualDisc, it will muddy up the water for the DVD-A camp.

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 7
I, as a 'customer', wouldn't buy a DVD-A or SACD but DVD-V with high resolution audio like e.g. Chesky sells them.

If there's good old redbook CD on the other side, even better - makes e.g. creating mp3s for car mp3 CD player much easier than with plain DVD-V.

If this one will be a big flop, DVD-A and SACD will be, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back