OK Computer
Jan 22, 2002 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Xander

The XanMan is back!
Well, after so many recommendations from friends, I finally picked this up... Anyone else have any comments about this particular recording? I'm enjoying most of the songs so far, so I'm glad I bought it. Definatly different, which is good.. But the dynamics on the CD are so heavily compressed..
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 21
yup definately a good one. I have to be in the mood tho, it's a bit of a gloomy CD IMO. I haven't listened to it for a while, which could be a good sign
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm listening for the second time right now and I'm blown away... At first, it was like a big blob of sound -- after you're familiar with it, you start to notice that theres just layers and leyers of melody.

Jan 22, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 21
Braver: Perhaps it's just me, but I have noted that the recordings I love the most I listen to the least. They are emotionally draining - to the point of being listenable only under certain circumstances......

Jan 22, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 21
I understand what you're saying completely coolvij. OK Computer is probably my favorite album but I haven't listened to it for a LONG time.

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Braver: Perhaps it's just me, but I have noted that the recordings I love the most I listen to the least. They are emotionally draining - to the point of being listenable only under certain circumstances......

same thing with me man. and some of those favorite discs only 'click' when you're in a certain mood. OK Computer, Kid-A and for instance Marillion - Brave aren't albums you spin to have some fun.

Jan 23, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 21
Alot of ok computer's subject matter is very bleak, about how we're all little trained rats fooling ourselves into thinking we're happy. Yet some of the melodies are so pretty, and that's just this album's point (which is why it's brilliant). Listen to "No Surprises"... god, what a sad person who's singing this, yet the pretty melody lulls you into this false impression that it's a pleasant tune. At the end, in their best choirboy voices they sing "get me out of here!" Absolutely perfect!!!

I don't agree completely with their gloomy view of the world, but I get their point.

Each time I listen to this record ( and the 2 following it) I hear something new.... some little hidden voice or noise deep in the mix. What a fun disc!

Schiss

Jan 23, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 21
schiss,
my favorite songs have happy tunes and sad lyrics. the smiths and stereolab were/are masters at this.

Jan 23, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
my favorite songs have happy tunes and sad lyrics. the smiths and stereolab were/are masters at this.

Cardigans, dude. If you're not familiar with them, check them out!

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 21
schiss, you said it perfectly. Thom Yorke in my opinion is the king of sarcasm. No Surprises goes one step further than his usual sarcasm by having such a sweet, peaceful melody that contrasts with what the song really seems to be about, which is being stuck in a situation so predictable you want to scream.

I think the lyrics to OK computer and probably the Bends even more so are my favorite lyrics on any album I have have.

Jan 23, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 21
Man, I can't resist to say this: to those who also enjoy Radiohead and would like to listen to some stuff that could remind a very beautiful mix of this stuff with mid-period Pink Floyd (read Wish You Were Here), here's the answer: [size=small]PORCUPINE TREE[/size]. Hard to say where to start, but these are some of my personal favorite PT releases: The Sky Moves Sideways, Signify, Coma Divine, Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, Ut the Downstairs, Voyage 34...

Jan 24, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 21
I agree that this is a fantastic album, one that gets better on each listen, yet cannot be listened to that often...Jim O'Rourke is also very fond of making the lyrics contrast the music. Check out the ep Halfway to a Threeway. It is absolutely fantastic. The title track is extremely beautiful and relaxed very intimate with soothing, almost spoken word vocals. It is about a hospital orderly trying to arrange a threesome with an invalid and a person in a coma...and then killing them. Yet I played it for my friend who does not speak English, and she said afterwards "oh, what a beautiful song, what was it about?" I told her it was about someone's unrequited first love...I did not really want to freak her out...

Jan 24, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #15 of 21
Stuartr: that's bizzarre, man.... I THINK I LIKE IT.
Thanks to everyone who suggested other artists, I'll definitely check them out.

The Bends has amazing lyrics too, I guess i just didn't include it in my first comments because that album was still in the "guitars-as-primary instruments" stage of their songwriting.... but holy crap, can those boys play some intricate, twisted, beautiful guitar.

Anyone care to give me their interpretation of the meaning to the song "Kid A"?

By the way, if you haven't found it yet... Pry off the black disc- holding portion of the jewel case to Amnesiac, and you'll find yet another booklet of strange drawings and lyrics for both Amnesiac and Kid A... That's where i found the lyrics for the song Kid A, which were terribly hard to understand in the first place!

Schiss

"we've got heads on sticks"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back