Oiy...
Jan 26, 2005 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aeriyn

Headphoneus Supremus
Blargh.

The restaurant where I've worked for nearly two years closed down tonight. Not the end of the world or anything, but it's awfully annoying. Now I have to spend all my free time looking for another job and not listening to my rig, which is a heinous crime!
eek.gif

Ah well. There's a consignment shop that just opened up two days ago down the street. It'd be nice working with clothes instead of food; I'd like to get that job.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 17
You know what they say, "for every door that closes, a new one opens" or some crap like that. I don't remember.
tongue.gif

Besides, isn't working at a restaurant kind horrible sometimes? My cousins were "enslaved" to work at their family restaurant for years, and when their parents sold it, they danced like it was 1999. Clothes are more fun anyway, since apparel doesn't judge you. Food does. Trust me.

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 17
Aw that sucks. Was business just bad or the owners just wanted to close shop?

Good luck in finding new job.

What up with not being able to listen to music while looking for a job? You have your portable. My life is like a movie, music nearly always playing in the background.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Aw that sucks. Was business just bad or the owners just wanted to close shop?

Business wasn't great but they were making a profit. I believe the value of the property had like, doubled over the last few months, and the owner is really close to retirement. He probably just wanted to pocket a mil or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What up with not being able to listen to music while looking for a job? You have your portable. My life is like a movie, music nearly always playing in the background.
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah. Whoops, nearly forgot about my little Mini in my current mood.
etysmile.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 17
Good luck with the job hunt, and remember, good workers are in short supply. If you show up to collect an application, or return it, or interview for a job in the retail sector, always be cheery and personable. In my extensive sales (and management) experience, this will get you hired on nearly any retail floor.

One of the more impressive applicants I ever had said this when asked what his greatest strength was:

"I show up to work. That means that I'm always at work 10 minutes before my scheduled shift starts, and I'm at work to work until 10 minutes after it ends."

This kind of an attitude is very rare in workers these days, and very desireable.

Again, good luck!

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
"I show up to work. That means that I'm always at work 10 minutes before my scheduled shift starts, and I'm at work to work until 10 minutes after it ends."

This kind of an attitude is very rare in workers these days, and very desireable.

Hey,
that is the exact attitude I have when I work. I come early and start early, but I finish late all without expecting to get paid. However it was funny how my former-boss would look at me and then proceed to tell me to wait til it was time (as i was doing a 12hr shift
eek.gif
). That does not stop me from being a good worker tho! I still come early/finish after. Not only that I am only 18

Jan 26, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by seiko_citizen
Hey,
that is the exact attitude I have when I work. I come early and start early, but I finish late all without expecting to get paid. However it was funny how my former-boss would look at me and then proceed to tell me to wait til it was time (as i was doing a 12hr shift
eek.gif
). That does not stop me from being a good worker tho! I still come early/finish after. Not only that I am only 18

Keep doing that. Even if your current boss doesn't notice or appreciate it (because many of them are slackers as well), when you become employed by someone who appreciates that kind of work ethic, the sky will be the limit for you in that company, both in terms of pay and responsibility.

PS: I'm only 22
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 17
Good luck with the new job search, Cori.

My first job as a teenager was a dishwasher at a steakhouse with a buffet.

Ugh, the first and last restaurant job I ever worked. Vowed never to work at one again.

Now owning a restaurant........hmmmm. Maybe.

-Ed

Jan 26, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
Keep doing that. Even if your current boss doesn't notice or appreciate it (because many of them are slackers as well), when you become employed by someone who appreciates that kind of work ethic, the sky will be the limit for you in that company, both in terms of pay and responsibility.

PS: I'm only 22
smily_headphones1.gif

My current boss does appreciate it tho, so at least I know that they have similar work ethics as well. You should see my store manager... He works on Sundays to make sure the shop is actually ready on Monday
eek.gif
now that is something I havent seen in ages, not only that he actually helps out whenever he can, he rarely in his office, but rather on the shop floor

It was once said to me by a car salesman 'Mr Honda was very rarely in his office, sometimes the office was never used for the entire year, because he is purely in the workshop with his engineer team'

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 17
Don't under-sell yourself, arielyn (sp). You're obviously bright and literate. I'd say hit a temp agency. Adecco is currently the largest in the world and now in the US. They love to find people work -- it makes them money. The thing is, that through temp jobs you almost always work yourself into a full time position, and most likely something much better (and less stressfull
cool.gif
) than a restaurant job. Go for it.

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 17
Aeriyn, good luck finding a new job! My kids worked in restaurants but they never got more than tips. I hope you did better than that. As for retail sales, that is largely commission based (or was when I did it). Just avoid shoe stores. Although I love buying shoes, I understand that it can get pretty gross when people don't shower the way they should.

Jan 26, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Just avoid shoe stores. Although I love buying shoes, I understand that it can get pretty gross when people don't shower the way they should.

eek.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Aeriyn, good luck finding a new job! My kids worked in restaurants but they never got more than tips. I hope you did better than that. As for retail sales, that is largely commission based (or was when I did it). Just avoid shoe stores. Although I love buying shoes, I understand that it can get pretty gross when people don't shower the way they should.

LOL, my wife had worked at a department store selling women's shoes. Very much like the TV Show Married with Children, it's one of the worst jobs.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jan 27, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
LOL, my wife had worked at a department store selling women's shoes. Very much like the TV Show Married with Children, it's one of the worst jobs.
tongue.gif

Even if you have a feet / shoe fetish?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back