'Ohm' ratings and why they're important
May 16, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #16 of 26
80ohms is about the most I'd run through an iPod or similar. But IME, even an 80ohm phone needs some power, or they can sound a bit lifeless.

Sensitivity has to be taken into account, as some low ohm phones are also very low sensitivity, so are as demanding to run to potential as high ohm phones. There are not all that many of these around, but some are popular on here.

May 17, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #17 of 26
May 17, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #18 of 26
Think about it this way: a low impedance headphone is closer to a straight wire. This lack of load allows forces the output of your portable to operate at nearly a short circuit.

Theres a reason transistor amps are rated in this type of fashion (1000W@ 4ohms, 500W @ 8ohms, 250W @ 16ohms)
It's preferable to have a low output impedance going into a high impedance speaker/headphone

May 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #19 of 26
You shouldn't have any problems running the headphones with a Mixamp. I got two pairs of DT 770's the old DT 770 80Ω pro model and few days ago got the MANUFAKTUR DT 770 250Ω. Both headphones run fine at great volume levels. I was afraid that the Mixamp wouldn't be able to put out good enough volume, but I have the master volume set to 12 o'clock any higher hurts my hearing! in both games and music listening, if you need extra volume turn voice volume to zero.

May 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:

Sensitivity has to be taken into account, as some low ohm phones are also very low sensitivity, so are as demanding to run to potential as high ohm phones. There are not all that many of these around, but some are popular on here.

Yes, to decide how easy a headphone is to drive, i.e. get the most sound from the least amount of amp power, you want high sensitivity (look at headphone SPL rating in db/mW or db/V) and low ohms. As a very rough guide over 100 db/mW and/or under 40ohms makes for a sensitive headphone. Ohms alone do tell the full story.

May 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 26
Oops, thanks 
tongue.gif

Quote:
I happened to be browsing through the thread, and I thought I should mention that the formula is V=I*R, not V=I/R.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

May 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
80ohms is about the most I'd run through an iPod or similar. But IME, even an 80ohm phone needs some power, or they can sound a bit lifeless.

Anyone else have any other opinions on running a DT770/80 through an iPod Classic? This whole amp thing is turning me away from buying some good headphones because even if I do get them, the amp will probably just be another thought down the line.....

May 17, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
Anyone else have any other opinions on running a DT770/80 through an iPod Classic? This whole amp thing is turning me away from buying some good headphones because even if I do get them, the amp will probably just be another thought down the line.....

I might be able to help you out here. I just got a DT770/80 in the mail today and I have a Zune which I'm guessing has similar power output. I just got back from college so everything is a mess right now. I'll post on this tomorrow once I get everything up and running (and maybe my cmoy completed).

May 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #26 of 26
@thelastpolarebear: Not getting good headphones because misinformed people tell you that you will need some expensive amp to "power them properly" is a pretty stupid idea. Differences with such an amp will most likely be subtle, which doesn't matter if you don't like the sound of your headphones.
If volume isn't a problem (and I don't think it is) get those headphones that sound best to your ears, regardless of higher impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back