Ohm Adapters - Improve Sound? How?
May 15, 2005 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pandasonic

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to know - for headphones with low power requirements, how is it possible that an ohm adapter such as the 75ohm one I use with my ksc35s are able to improve the sound. I notice an improvement when using with my sony cd1700s as well. What are the general principles behind this? Thanks.

May 15, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 5
The frequency response is changed. You could achieve the same with a parametric EQ.

May 15, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #3 of 5
it is always preferable to use a simple resistor or capacitor or even a passive R/C network to eq headphones if that will get it done than to add another electronic device in the signal path-the equalizer.

You gotta keep the signal path simple and uncluttered and only add in what is absolutely neccessary to get the job done if you value the sound quality.

Remember folks-every single active stage and even a good amount of passive devices WILL each add colorations and distortion and there are even times when a set of headphones straight out of the player is a better option to using an amp (Blasphemy !!!!)

May 17, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 5
So if I wanted to increase the impedence of, say, a Sennheiser HD600 from 300 ohms (standard) to 375 ohms, I would add a 75 ohm resistor to the positive lead of the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back