Ohio Mini-Meet #3
May 2, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #31 of 42
i agree about the SR-71. in my case it was my iPod w/lossless, bg's Sik Ram and my ER-4P/S's. personally, i think my Xin Supermini v.6 is better with the Etys than the SR-71. based on my listening, i really don't think it deserves the gushing that it recieves.

i was going to post a longish impressions post tonight, but school work got in the way. i'll hopefully have time tomorrow.

May 2, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #32 of 42
Hi, really interesting to read your meet impressions.

I'm intrigued by the idea of recabling my DT990s, but to wanted state quite categorically that the treble with the stock DT990s is anything but harsh or excessive; it is the opposite of those adjectives

May 2, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
And they do feel awkward if the headband is not at the right angle, though I can hardly see calling them cheap or Gradoesque, but to each his own.

Yep, if you put them right on top of your head, the metal parts dig into the top of your head. When you angle them back more, they rest nicely.

I wish the pads were softer, but they leave plenty of room around the ears. Far far less clamping pressure than the HD650's.

But not quite as "light as a feather" feel as the Qualia 010's.

-Ed

May 2, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
SA5000- I came to the meet expecting to hate these. I only had the chance to listen for about 10 minutes, but I was impressed. I tried them with my PPA first and they sounded pretty bad. I listened next with my Dynalo. They seemed well balanced, very clear and had very nice bass.I really wish I had a chance to listen longer. The SA5000 seemed to fit me fairly well. The top of the headband felt a little wierd, but not bad. I would like to buy a set to try out, but I can't unless I sell my HD650s and a few minute listen isn't enough to make me do so. These also look cooler in person than in the pictures.

I wish I was at the meet, I would have let you take the SA5000 with you because I am going to be out of town this week anyway. No worries though, PM me if you'd like a longer audition.

May 2, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #35 of 42
Did anyone listen to the GS-1 with a few different headphones? How did it do, overall?

What I like about the Prehead is that all my headphones sound good with it -- AKG 501, RS-1, SA5K, CD3000. I'd like a second amp, for my home setup that will be just as well rounded -- something that sounds good with everything, or at least as much as that is possible.

The Gilmore v.1 is a little bit picky, I've found. The only other amp that I've heard that I like in a general way, with everything I've heard it with is the PPX, but I'm trying to avoid tubes.

I may end up with another Prehead, or HA-2 MKII, but the GS-1 intrigues me.

May 2, 2005 at 1:24 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Did anyone listen to the GS-1 with a few different headphones? How did it do, overall?

What I like about the Prehead is that all my headphones sound good with it -- AKG 501, RS-1, SA5K, CD3000. I'd like a second amp, for my home setup that will be just as well rounded -- something that sounds good with everything, or at least as much as that is possible.

The Gilmore v.1 is a little bit picky, I've found. The only other amp that I've heard that I like in a general way, with everything I've heard it with is the PPX, but I'm trying to avoid tubes.

I may end up with another Prehead, or HA-2 MKII, but the GS-1 intrigues me.

I think everyone was so interested in the tube amps the GS-1 didnt get much attention. I can answer you that the GS-1 did sound good with everything I tried. I mainly wanted to compare the GS-1 to the prehead since I had never been able to audition that amp. IMO, the GS-1 is more transparent than the prehead. I thought the prehead sounded a little congested, especially with my senns. The treble of the GS-1 is also less analytical vs the prehead and may mate better with the sharper sounding headphones like your sony's. Of all the solid state amps I have owned or heard at length.... the GS-1 is my favorite.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
..."The treble of the GS-1 is also less analytical vs the prehead and may mate better with the sharper sounding headphones like your sony's. Of all the solid state amps I have owned or heard at length.... the GS-1 is my favorite.
smily_headphones1.gif
"

I concluded that on my own from what people have said about the GS-1, and ordered one for my HD595, which I find to have a brighter treble than the HD650. I can't wait till I get it to see if I have got a perfect synergy
icon10.gif

May 2, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #38 of 42
One thing that really hit home with me at this meet is the inability to do real comparisons. There are so many variables its hard to get a handle on just what is contributing to the final sound. The meets sure are fun though.
smily_headphones1.gif

To be honest, I thought you guys were nuts when a few of you said the SLAM had harsh highs. Well yesterday when I fired it up it sounded all wrong. I have two well used pairs of 5687's. But I couldnt find my raytheon 5687wa's as I must have put them in the wrong box. I was in a hurry... so I put a new pair of tung sols in the mpx3 SLAM. I didnt like the sound of the new tung sol tubes in the mpx3 SLAM as they sounded to bright.... which new tubes often can. To help the mpx3 SLAM out (which had no break in time) I put the ppx3 SLAM's 5687 tubes in it to tone down the brightness and put the new tubes in the ppx3 SLAM. Usually, I keep track of new tubes in my amp to make sure they arent distorting, humming or especially arching, but I didnt with this pair. Well one of the 5687's was bad. In fact, when I put the tube back in to see which one was acting up it took out the left channel.
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

So my ppx3 SLAM review will be temporarily on hold until I can get the amp repaired. I had planned to do the final finishing touches and post a review this upcoming weekend.

May 3, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #39 of 42
Here are few pictures from the meet!

Here is the picture of Moth in listening station 0 (powered by Denon DVD/combo player). I think I was actually drooling while I was listening. It sounded so fluid and refined, I wish I had a big enough checking balance to order one (plus a very forgiving wife for letting me buy such expensive toy
biggrin.gif
)
moth.jpg

Picture of the listening station 1, you can see Sony MDR-CD3000, Grado RS-2, Audio Technica ATH-W1000, and Sony MDR-SA5000. Apple G4 labtop was hooked up via Airport express to power station 2.
station1-1.jpg

Here is a picture of listening station 2, where PPX3 was powering up various equipment. You can also see Impedanzer for RKV MKII.
station2.jpg

Now, this is for all you Singlepower fans out there. I think most of in the meeting currently owned one or more Singlepower amp (myself included). I didn't bother to bring my 6sn7 MP3 to the meeting. If I did, it would be like bringing in a peanut butter jelly sandwich to a hotel buffet. I personally don't think anyone would care to listening a stock MPX3 in this mini-meet (may be we are spoiled???). Here is the picture of listening station 3. From the top, MPX3 Slam, PPX3 Slam, Modified Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD player, 12 volt version of MPX3 (you can see the external power supply next to PPX3), and the bottom shelf was occupied by 2nd Sony C555ES. This station was rigged so that you can power two Singlepower amps with one source for quick A/Bing. I was using Senn HD650 to A/B between various Singlepower amps. There were like 5-6 pairs of HD650 in this meeting, 4 pairs were SACD_LOVER's. Anyways, as far as I can tell, SLAM PPX3 hit very hard. High extention was good on PPX3, but SLAM MPX3 was slightly more refined and sounded more fuller. Overall, SLAM MPX3 was my price dependent choice of amps in the meeting.
station3.jpg

Here is a picture of listening station 4, where you can see silver GS-1, RKV MKII and Prehead.
station4.jpg

Intially, we had some issues with GS-1 playing only one side (left channel only). Later we sort of resolved it, but GS-1 was producing audible hums. Overall, I felt GS-1 was quite nice. GS-1 sounded little warmer compare to Prehead (both 0 ohm and 120 ohm outputs). When I was comparing these two solid state amps, I think Prehead has slightly larger soundstage (both width and depth) and Prehead sounded slightly colder than GS-1. Overall, I favored Prehead due to its absolute blackness (no noise what-so-ever), extra high extension and more details. It is possible production GS-1 is just as capable as Prehead, but the particular sample I heard had little too much noise. We were using loopout of GS-1 to power Prehead, but Prehead was dead silent.

Here are pictures of some of headphones, DT-990, follwed by SA5K and W1K. DT990 was a pleasant surprise. It sounded somewhere inbetween Senn HD650 and Beyer DT-880. Bass was par to HD650, but DT990 has better high extension. Perhaps, Mikey01's recable did the wonders to DT990's sound?
dt990.jpg

I found SA5K to be quite a performer, but not superior to CD3K. I probably wouldn't rush out to get one. SA5K sounds slightly recessed in highs and little less damped in bass than CD3K. Overall, SA5K sounds fuller than CD3K by tiny margin, but I prefer CD3K's overall comfort. I do dig SA5K's look... perhaps when I visit Japan in few weeks, I got to pick myself up a pair?
sa5k-w1k.jpg

Finally overview of station 3, 2 and 1.
slantedview.jpg

Overall, I really liked Moth (price independent), but it was little out of my price range. Slam MPX3 is a significant improved MPX3 for those who prefer hard hitting bass. I briefly tried Slam MPX3 with RS-2 and it was awesome. Wish I can take one home with me, but it was a loaner. Anyways, thanks from bottom of my heart to SACD_LOVER for hosting another awesome mini-meet.

May 3, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #40 of 42
Just for the record: the "yellow cabled" Senn 650's were not a Mogami setup.
eek.gif
280smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #41 of 42
Sound like a great meet. I would love to hear more impression.

Earl,
I can't believe you own 4 pairs of HD-650?
biggrin.gif

Go_Vtec,
Nice to hear your impression on SA5K and CD3K. I also prefer my CD3K to the SA5K due to enjoyment factor.

May 6, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #42 of 42
Sorry that I couldn't make this meet folks. Sounds like there was lots of new goodies to check out! I wondered if Mikey01 brought his 880's along too? If so did anyone compare the DT880 to the 990? Hope to see everyone in June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back