Ohio Meet
Nov 13, 2005 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Well the Ohio meet just concluded about an hour ago. I am starting the thread since I am home. Everyone has a multiple hour drive so the posts/ impressions probably wont be coming in until later tonight or tomorrow.

Tkam, grandenigma1, edipisreks, digitalbill, mikey01 and myself were the participants. These guys are all serious headphone addicts and I had a wonderful time. I was especially glad to see Tkam/ Todd come all the way from Pennsylvania and Gradenigma1/ Zach come all the way from Indiana .... just to attend.
wink.gif

This meet wasnt large in numbers but all the heavy hitters were all here. We had the balanced SFT Dynamight Signature, Moth 2a3, Eddie Current dual mono 2, several Singlepowers of mine, Musical Fidelity v3 and a SLAM ppx3.

We had the Grado HP-2, PS-1, 325, AT L3000, Senn 650 and 600, Beyer recabled dt990, a modded and recabled cd3000 and a couple of hybrids from the hands of Larry at Headphile.

Sources included four Eastsound E5's, digitalbill's Musical Fidelity X-Ray, two sacdmods 555es, a specially modded APL Philips sacd 1000 belonging to tkam, sacdmods cd-25, Zach's Nixon tube dac, Mikey's denon 2910 ??? and I believe a Yamaha cd/dvd player belonging to edipisreks.

Being the host I didnt get to spend a lot of time with any of the equipment but I still came away impressed with what I did hear.
cool.gif

I have become a big believer in commenting on products in the context of a system. Rather than saying this amp was great or this headphone wasnt .... I am going to confine my comments to the sound coming from the sytems I heard. To often I see certain products downgraded because they were connected to less stellar sources or headphones or amps.

System 1 was a BIG surprise to me. This included the Musical Fidelity X-ray cd player and MF v3 amp. I heard this before with my senns and didnt really like the sound. But this duo rocked with the Grado PS-1. The SLAM ppx3 driven by the Eastsound E5 was also just excellent with the PS-1. I preferred these two inexpensive amps over my old chassis supra and the Moth 2a3 ..... using the PS-1's. I have never heard the PS-1 sound better than with this MF combo or the SLAM. I had not been very impressed with the MF gear or the PS-1 until today. I love my senns but this grado was superb with the right combinaton.

System 2 with the E5 and the Moth/EC 2a3 was excellent. The synergy between the E5 and 2A3 was terrific. I thought the Moth had a little to much bloom before with mikey's Denon, but the more neutral E5 balanced the sound beautifully. I think this combo sounds a lot like my supra / E5 combo but with slightly more body .... where the supra sounded a tad cleaner and more neutral. This combo REALLY excelled when I paired them with the senn 600's and a magnet wire senn replacement cable. The bass hits on the Alice In Chains - Unplugged CD were the most realistic I have ever heard them.
basshead.gif
I know digitalbill liked rocking out on this combo too.
icon10.gif
I tried the beyer dt990 and the sound was very good .... but I preferred the senn 600's. The E5/ 2a3/ senn 600 combo was seriously good.
cool.gif

System 3 was the Yamaha connected to the SLAM ppx3 .... and later the E5. We did some tuberolling and tried some sylvania gold brand 5687's and the raytheon Square D getters paired with both a RCA 6cg7 and a sylvania 7n7. As has been my experience on multiple occasions, the SLAM sounded great with eveything. The SLAM even goes toe to toe with the 2a3 on percussion. The realness of drum hits on these two amps has to be experienced for you to understand how tight and impactful they can sound.

The PS-1 and HP-2 sounded awesome with the SLAM and E5 for the source. Furthermore the senn 600's are extremely synergistic with the SLAM ..... and I thought the SLAM even made the cd3000's sound good .... and I usually dislike the cd3000. The SLAM clearly drives the low impedence headphones the best of any Singlepower amp I have used. The SLAM maintained the strengths of all these headphones and has a clarity and musicality second to none. I dont think you can make this amp sound bad. I continue to be amazed how much sound quality you get from this amp..... especially for the price.

I have to stop here but I will post more impressions shortly.
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 56
great meet! i'll post some impressions later tonight tomorrow, but right now i need to go eat some dinner. these pics will have to do for the time being.
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for another great meet, Earl!

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 56
Looking forward to more impressions.

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 56
I liked everything and want one of everything. I would like to thank Earl for his hospitality and for hosting this meet. You gotta love this guy. I would also like to thank Earls wife for cooking such a splended chicken dish for all of us. It sure was very very yummy.
icon10.gif

I have pretty much heard it all before but some new ones. The Supras really were impressive and much more of a great sounding amp than what I have heard of MPX3's which is nothing to snear at either. If I diden't have Eddie Currents, they would be it.
eggosmile.gif

I really liked the Phillips 1000 CDP. It sounded splended with all it's modding and tube output and Earls CD25 modded was very nice too.
wink.gif

It was really nice to meet TKam and Gradenigma1 for the first time. Funny but they looked normal to me
confused.gif
. Goes to show ya, you can never judge a book by it's cover or you can never really know a HeadFier from his miscellaneous ramblings in a thread. They are two very fine HeadFiers to get to know. And as always it was good to get together with edipisreks and digitalbill again. A way cool time for all of us. WOOHOO!
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 56
ihadareallyfuntimeatthemeet.thanksalotearlforhosti ng.itswaslotsoffun.thisisforyouearlandmikey
icon10.gif

It was a fun basketball meet indeed
icon10.gif

impressions to come... but for now Ill just direct you to SACD Lovers impressions both above and below this post.. they are right on and almost exactly match mine as well.

If i had to pick one setup to go with it would be the Dynamight with HD600s and 650s
580smile.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 56
More impressions ....

System 4 was the SFT Dynamight Signature with the ALP philips sacd 1000 and several balanced capable headphones. I have to say the SFT amp had the best looking appearance of any amp at the meet and a completely over the top build quality. The all silver componenets looked very classy together too. The sound of this combo with the L3000 was very warm and smooth with a nicely balanced and involving presentation. I didnt like the hybrid headphone with the k1000 drivers as the sound lacked transparency and seemed to warm even with the SFT. I finally listened to the senn 650 balanced and ..... OH MY!!!
eek.gif
I have never heard the senn 650 sound this good. No bass bloat, more transparency, more neutrality, more openess and a sense of realness I get with my Singlepowers.

This amp had no solid state signature I detected .... a first. If I was asked to recommend a state of the art balanced solid state amp .... this is the one. Those comments I have read the Dynahi has a leaness and thin tonality were never remotely evident with this system. I dont know what is so different and special with this combo .... the amp and/ or the source .... or the the skillfull pairing of all the right pieces by its owner. But this was a very special setup. If I suddenly couldnt get tubes anymore and had to go solid state this is where I would go.

[size=xx-large]IMPRESSIVE !![/size]

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 56
k3000 impressions!

[size=xx-small]not that I'm considering larry for some frankensony operation on my k1000[/size]
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #10 of 56
Tuberolling the SLAM ......

I have done this before but todays trials only cemented what I already had decided. I think the tung sol D getters are the best 5687 for all around sound quality. I was very impressed with the Sylavania gold brand 5687. The trial today showed what this tube can do. The Sylvania was clean, clear and very smooth and non-fatiguing. This tube sounded very good with Jacob's setup .... and especially with the E5 as the source and the PS-1 or senn 600. The Raytheon square D getter 5687 is another excelent tube and sounds much like the tung sol with a very seductive midrange .... but a very slightly less refined treble. Some people are going to prefer the Raytheons to the tung sol.

The 6cg7 used for gain makes the SLAM more dynamic top to bottom, cleaner, faster and more forward sounding. The 6sn7 .... we used a 7n7 ...... has a more spacious soundstage thats immediately apparent. The 7n7 backs off the forwardness and makes the amp more relaxed and refined sounding.
I continue to prefer the RCA clear top 6cg7 and I think the inexpensive Sylvania 7n7 is an excellent gain tube in the SLAM.
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
k3000 impressions!

[size=xx-small]not that I'm considering larry for some frankensony operation on my k1000[/size]
evil_smiley.gif

I found them to be a bit lacking in soundstage... but I think a deeper woodie (if that is at all possible) then what tkam had would fix it right up and make them quite good
icon10.gif
...not saying that they are not already good, but would be even better.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hi Earl you didn't strike me as a Ps-1 type. Did zach manage to bring the ps-1's balanced to the meet?

I managed to bring them but there was a slight problem which is all fixed now but too late
frown.gif

after hearing them with the Xcan setup I have no doubt that they will be amazing! Todd will be the lucky one to find out soon.

On another note the HP2s are by far my favorite Grado.. they seem to adapt very well to every amp you throw them amp.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 56
We all had a ball watching Earl trying to tuberoll the SFT Dynamight Signature. But he's a quick study and caught on to the proper program in no time.
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
ihadareallyfuntimeatthemeet.thanksalotearlforhosti ng.itswaslotsoffun.thisisforyouearlandmikey :

It was EddieRex's lucky day, as well as some others. They got a right proper English lesson on typing manors from Earl and myself.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
We all had a ball watching Earl trying to tuberoll the SFT Dynamight Signature. But he's a quick study and caught on to the proper program in no time.

It was EddieRex's lucky day, as well as some others. They got a right proper English lesson on typing manors from Earl and myself.

w3 Shur diD
icon10.gif

Mikey had so much fun he fell asleep
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back