ohhhh no. another dreaded splurging story.
Sep 14, 2005 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
Well, ive done it. I donno why but i did. I just got off the phone with Mikhail at Single-power. Apparently Ive purchased a PPX3 SLAM. 925$. Great! The wallet bites the dust yet again.

Oh headphone brethren, tell me the glorious ways of the SLAM (with stepped attenuator, and black-gates on the output stage). Tell me its wonderful prowess and beauty. Convince me i have done no wrong, only good to my argumentative yet honest HP-2's! Convince me!

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 15
i think you did well
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 15
Welcome to the peanut butter and jelly club. Frankly a big purchase like that hurts only once, but the good enjoyable music lasts life time of the amp. May I caution you with such powerful amp, try to keep the volume down w/ HP-2.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 15
ahhh yes. I dont listen to music too loud. That stepped attenuator is also gonna emphasize that fact now.

Does anyone know what happened to that price sheet singlepower used to have up on their website???

Or does anyone know the cost of the common PPX3 upgrades (black gates in the output stage, stepped attenuator)?

Rhydon.

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 15
Sep 14, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Well, ive done it. I donno why but i did. I just got off the phone with Mikhail at Single-power. Apparently Ive purchased a PPX3 SLAM. 925$. Great! The wallet bites the dust yet again.

Oh headphone brethren, tell me the glorious ways of the SLAM (with stepped attenuator, and black-gates on the output stage). Tell me its wonderful prowess and beauty. Convince me i have done no wrong, only good to my argumentative yet honest HP-2's! Convince me!

Did you get the 9 pin mini gain tube socket upgraded to an octal socket? I think its worth the $50 to do so... unless you are shooting for a more dynamic and forward sound. Blackgates in the output stage or blackgate cathode caps?

I just got a singlepower with the stepped attenuator and I was skeptical I would like the stepped. But the taper is close enough its easy to set the volume. The transparency with the stepped is definitely better. When I heard woodcans maxed out mpx3 I wasnt sure what was making the amp sound so extremely good. I have most of the upgrades in his amp in some of my mpx3's... but his was still better. I now think the stepped was responsible for much of the transparency that gave his amp a special ease and delicacy.

I have a mpx3 SLAM coming soon. I left Mikhail an email last night to put a stepped in the amp. This amp is going to have everything..... PIO coupling caps, blackgate cathode caps, Goldpoint SA, solen 1, Plitron transformer and its a 12 volt amp with a new implementation of the 12 volt supply.
cool.gif
I cant wait!!

So anyway, the stepped attenuator was a very wise choice IMO. Getting the SLAM in the first place was the best idea.
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
...I have a mpx3 SLAM coming soon. I left Mikhail an email last night to put a stepped in the amp. This amp is going to have everything..... PIO coupling caps, blackgate cathode caps, Goldpoint SA, solen 1, Plitron transformer and its a 12 volt amp with a new implementation of the 12 volt supply.
cool.gif
I cant wait!!...

Earl, sounds like you are nearing Supra level performance with such upgrades. Wouldn't it be easier just get a Supra SLAM?
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just Kidding!

Sep 14, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 15
i'm guessing you don't need the Solo anymore then, Rhydon? lol! i was about to say if you pay the Melos Sha Gold guy selling that amp right now, and he sent me the Sha, i'd send you the Solo
icon10.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
Earl, sounds like you are nearing Supra level performance with such upgrades. Wouldn't it be easier just get a Supra SLAM?
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just Kidding!

I already have something planned for next year when the income tax return arrives.
icon10.gif
I just like the mpx3. I keep trying other amps and I like the mpx3 better. So I buy more mpx3's and configure them differently to get a somewhat different character.... but equally good sound quality.

I am going to do a Singlepower options thread at some point and give my findings to those who have trouble wading through all the choices. But in reality, I havent found any bad choices.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Earl, ok, i dont know how to say this, but if you ever think about buying an amplifier here on head-fi, SACD Lover (Earl) is the man to talk to. He is the fountain of knowledge, both in equipment experience and technical merit. I dont think i could of pulled the trigger on the SLAM without Earl, and of course more wise advice from EdipisReks- i bought my first head phone amp off this guy. Anyways, just thought id let you know i couldn't of done it without you guys. I donno if thats a good thing or not
orphsmile.gif
, but i defiantly feel you guys have steered me straight on my head-fi journey. And Earl, that MPX3 is insane! Get ahold of yourself! lol, or not! Let me know as soon as you get it, i want to know everything about it. Earl, regarding my SLAM, i will ask Mikhail about the octagonal slots. Also, in regards to the Black gates, it was indeed the output stage. Any idea of how much this option costs? Or even what this option enhances? I dont think i even see it on their website for the upgrades. Let me know.

Jahn, if you would of PM'ed me a couple hours ago, you would of had that SHA-gold! If the buyer on audiogon wants to wait a few weeks (estimated build time for the SLAM), i can have a decision for you. Unfortunately most sellers arnt that perfect, but you never know. Let me know what happens.

Rhydon.

Sep 14, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Jahn, if you would of PM'ed me a couple hours ago, you would of had that SHA-gold! If the buyer on audiogon wants to wait a few weeks (estimated build time for the SLAM), i can have a decision for you. Unfortunately most sellers arnt that perfect, but you never know. Let me know what happens.

Rhydon.

he's a head-fi member too. it's ok i'm sure he's anxious to move to get some cash quicker than that, and i'm in no hurry to move the solo to be honest - the folks at the last nyc minimeet reaffirmed its Grado Badassery. but yep if the stars were aligned a bit better, i totally would have been happy with the sha gold too - i could use a decent preamp loop out!

Sep 14, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Mikhail is a great guy! and the Slam is a great amp! I ended up with a demo MPX3 from Mikhail and I am very happy. I would say from the time I have listening to the SLAM at 2 head-fi meets you will be very happy with your choice, and the tube rolling aspect of the amp will let you tailor the sound to your ears.

SacdLover was a big help to me also
biggrin.gif
great Head-Fier.

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 15
So you got the GS-1 and the PPX3 SLAM in the same week? Intense!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back