Ohhhh, HOT! (JVC challenges Kenwood players!)
Jul 18, 2007 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

antonyfirst

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember, about one year ago, that there was a challenge between the new Digital player by JVC Victor, the Alneo XA-HD500, and the Kenwood HD30GA9.
All the japanese reviewers seemed to conclude that between the two players there was a tie.
Headfi came to know well Kenwood players, initially thanks to some of us, while Victor Alneo players never went out of Japan.
Now Audiocubes is selling a brand new model, the JVC XA-C210, that should be on par with Kenwood flagship models. This one is only 2gb, so it's quite smallish, but some of us could be very interested in trying it.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/JV...io_Player.html

Me, I want to try the XA-HD500, if I can still find it, since maybe, unlike Kenwood players, could have no hiss. And I'm terribly curious, too.
biggrin.gif

If someone finds the Aleno players at some online retailers, please tell us, for knowledge sake!
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 26
I dont know if you should really pull the trigger on this or not .. but after a lil bit of googling .. I got this :

FenderP from the Head-Fi forum has taken a look at the Victor XA-HD500 digital audio player from JVC which features 6GB storage capacity. Here's a short quote from his review: . Quote:

"I got the Victor (JVC) XA-HD500 today. I only used it for about 30 minutes before putting it back in the box. Before you think I did that because it was a bad player, it isn't. It's a well-built, intuitive, small, light player that sounds great with the CC/K2 technology to enhance the sound. Its fatal flaw to me is the lack of gapless. I verified this by encoding a live album and playing it back."

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 26
And it's only 6GB Tony! :p

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 26
It has a lineout (via cradle).
It's only flaw seems to be the lack of gapless. It's not a problem for me, also the Kenwood doesn't play gapless.
There is a Japanese comparo between the Kenwood HD30GA7 and the JVC XA-HD500, but in the translation I can't understand anything (the fact that English isn't my first language doesn't help).
I can link it, maybe some of you will be able to help me out:

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Jul 18, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 26
It's true. I never tried, since I have used only mp3, but I read something about the Kenwood playing gapless with lossless or wav files.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 26
I'm not sure what you have to do specifically to albums on the Kenwood to make them gapless because I swear to god sometimes I'll play an album and won't hear gaps, then play the same album later and hear a millisecond gap and it drives me crazy.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 26
I have the alneo XA-C210, which I bought in May. I know Audiocubes was selling it in May, then they weren't for a while, and now they are again. I got mine from Eisanmall.com for less than Audiocubes' asking price. Eisanmall also carries the XA-HD500, and they have free EMS shipping for all orders. The XA-C210 has been available in Japan since about January or February of 2007. The XA-HD500 was released in 2005 if I'm not mistaken.

I'll try to provide information that will be useful. The XA-C210 does have the option for gapless playback. The manual says you need Windows Media Player 10, but I've been able to sync with Windows Media Player 9. Honestly though, you don't need the CD software that comes with the player if you don't want to. If you do, it can install in either Japanese or English. Additionally, you can just drag and drop your songs into the "Music" folder, make subfolders and drop files in those, etc. The player will update its database and arrange them all in the menu.

You can listen by artist, genre, track name, file name, release year, new tracks within the last day, 2 days, or 1 week. The instant playlist generator has the categories: recommended, top 30, recently played, morning favorite, and never played. You can also "bookmark" songs to add to your custom playlist, and "reserve" songs on a temporary playlist for later listening. Of course, there is random play also. The player can also display album art for your music, and you can delete files without being hooked up to a PC.

The XA-C210 has the K2 technology option just like the XA-HD500, but not the CC converter. I really don't know how much difference that would make, but I was looking at JVC's product sheet, and it seems the audio capabilities of both are pretty much the same.
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/download...summer_v01.pdf

It's also worth mentioning the C series uses a color screen while the XA-HD500 uses a monochrome one.

In addition to the K2 converter, other sound options for the C series alneo players include Digital AHB (bass boost), 4 types of surround sound configurations (energy, crystal, heartful, and subway), up to 4 custom equalizer settings, HP Output (I'm assuming that stands for headphone output) of normal or high, R/L balance control, the option for stereo or mono, "train mode," and MNR (noise reduction).

The FM radio tuner for the XA-C210 is set for Japan FM radio frequencies, so it only picks up 76 to 90 MHz. Ironically, I can pick up NBC on it.

On JVC's website for the C series alneo players, they have Wall Art Changer software so you can change the background image in the player to one of their preset options, I believe. I haven't used this myself.
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/alneo/wallart/index.html

New firmware for the C series was also released on July 12. I don't know what the updates are, as my Japanese isn't that good.

The XA-C210 does not include the AC adapter in the box, so if you want one, the product number is AA-R511.

The player connects to your PC and can charge via a mini-USB cable, which is included in the box. Transfer speeds seem pretty fast to me. While the player is connected to your PC, you can stream the files for listening through the PC (i.e. via Windows Media Player), but listening from the headphone jack is disabled.

The buttons Function 1 and 2 are programmable and you can assign virtually any function the player has to them. You can program 4 of them (single press of the button vs holding the button down x 2 = 4), and I find this quite useful actually.

The LCD screen is close to the size of a Nano screen, so screen protectors built for Nano will fit on the alneo C series. I use one myself.

The player features line in recording, but also has built in mics so you can record without plugging one in. It can also record from the radio.

I don't use the picture viewer too much.

The player is able to read unicode, and can display file names in 27 languages, if I'm not mistaken. Menu display options are Japanese and English, with Japanese being the default, but it's not hard to change.

With the internal clock, you can also set an alarm or a preset playing time before the player shuts off, which is nice if you plan to go to sleep listening to music.

I use the Etymotic ER-6i with my XA-C210. There is a very minimal hiss, but really most of the time I don't notice it, and it's not a bother for me. I really love this player and the sound quality, but as a disclaimer, this was my first portable DAP, and ER-6i are the best headphones I have.

If you have more questions, I'll try to answer them.

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 26
Hi,

Thanks for the valuable information. I'd like to know a couple of things more. Can you compare its sound quality with some other mp3 players? A straight Kenwood - JVC comparison would be the best.
I'd like also to know how does the bass boost behave with the Etys. To they gain a lot of bass with it?
Finally, is there the opportunity to use a SD card with the XA-C210? 2gb is really poor, but if a 16gb flash card could be added, it would be awesome.
Thanks you for the information you provided.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 26
Like I said, the JVC is my first mp3 player, so unfortunately I can't compare the sound quality to other players for you. I would say the bass boost helps the Etymotics quite a bit, and is enough bass for me to be happy. I usually have the Digital AHB on as a result.

Oh yes, I also have the JVC Marshmallow headphones, and with those, I have to turn off the bass boost, and EQ up the highs, otherwise it's way too much bass for me.

XA-C210 doesn't support SD card expansions. I still have space left over on my player, so 2 GB has been enough for me so far, but yeah, more space would be nice. Aside from that, I feel that it's an excellent flash based player that fits my needs quite well. Kenwood makes flash players too, but they also top out at 2 GB.

Two more things. First, the XA-C210 can be used as a portable flash drive, since you can just drag and drop your files in it, but you'd probably need to bring the mini-USB cable with you. Second, the carrying case that comes with the Etymotic ER-6i is large enough for both the headphones and the alneo XA-C210.
icon10.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 26
Yess, there is a slight difference, mainly in soundstage. Tonal balance is the same, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back