Oh! What to do, what to do... Tube or SS the ES7 and DT990?
May 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wrecked_porsche

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I need some help.
confused.gif

I currently use the ATH-ES7 without an amp. I plan to get the DT990/600ohm at the end of this year or early next year. My source is a cretive MuVo 2 FM 5GB.

Now here lies my problem; I want to get an amp now for use with the ES7 and also to be used with my future DT990. My budget is $200. I can’t decide between tube and ss amps. The music I mostly listen to is Dance, Rave Music, Techno and New Age. I also listen to rap/hip hop with losta low bass. Some classics and jazz sometimes.

I hate piercing highs and I’m more of a bass head.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

I hate cymbals. They drive me nuts.
I’m a huge fan of mids though. I love the synth drum and distortion guitar as well as strings and violins. I’ve read that tube amps have a warm sound and good mids while ss amps have good attack and detail…

I’ve been recommended the Little Dot 2++ which is tube. But my main worry is that the tubes have to be constantly replaced. How often would they have to be replaced if I did about 5 hours of listening a day about 5 days a week?
Its gonna be a real pain in the @$$ is I have to keep replacing the tubes every year or so...

Should I sacrifice the convenience of ss amps to go for tube?
On the other hand, should I sacrifice the mids and warm soulful sound of tubes and go for the convenient and mostly soulless ss amps?

What do you guys think? Is the LD2++ any good? If I were to go for ss amps instead, what would a good LD2++ equivalent be? Perhaps an SS amp that leans towards mids and has warm sound? Remember, my max budget is $200.

Thanks in advance for all your input guys. I really appreciate the help.
cool.gif

PS: Testing before I buy is out of the question because I’m gonna buy online. There are no places I can go to that are nearby for me to test ‘em out. I’m just gonna rely on opinions and wing it. Worked fine for me in the past, just have to do tons of reading up and research first.

May 24, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 12
Your preferance for bass well done on a meager budjet has me steering you away from tubes and amongst the S.S. amps in that range, perhaps a used HeadFive comes to mind, being reported as an upgrade over the Original Master headamp by DeeCee...

Good luck~

May 25, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 12
So, I should go the route of ss you say? HeadFive eh?
biggrin.gif

Do you mind explaining a little why I should stay away from tubes?
confused.gif
Is the bass really that much better in the ss amps?
I'm also taking into consideration the bass heavy and slightly recessed mids of the DT990. Won't the tubes be better for the DT990? I'm assuming it'll bring out the mids there?
eek.gif
blink.gif

Besides the HeadFive, are there any other recommendations for ss amps?

May 26, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I should go the route of ss you say? HeadFive eh?
biggrin.gif

Do you mind explaining a little why I should stay away from tubes?
confused.gif
Is the bass really that much better in the ss amps?
I'm also taking into consideration the bass heavy and slightly recessed mids of the DT990. Won't the tubes be better for the DT990? I'm assuming it'll bring out the mids there?
eek.gif
blink.gif

Besides the HeadFive, are there any other recommendations for ss amps?

If you look at tubes for bass than you might have to work on the budget a bit more. Low cost tube amps are likely not very good at bass control. A good pair of tubes might run pretty pricey. I would think you're better with the suggestion of the HeadFive.

You might also have a situation with the large gap between the ES7 and the DT990. Some low cost tube amps can be very good with high impedance cans, but can be problematic to ones with low impedance like the ES7.

If you use other AT cans like A700 or A900 for reference, and do your search, you might find a good amp for your ES7 and DT990.
wink.gif

May 26, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use other AT cans like A700 or A900 for reference, and do your search, you might find a good amp for your ES7 and DT990.
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions from the top of your mind? Just throw in some names for me to get started on my research?
icon10.gif

May 26, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions from the top of your mind? Just throw in some names for me to get started on my research?
icon10.gif

Just a few from top of my head:

HeadFive
X-CAN V2 or V3
Heed Canamp
EC/SS

In order of price increase per my estimate.

May 26, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 12
I never heard a Audio Technica ES7. But i know that the cheaper Audio Technica don´t improve so much with an amp. In my country own a lot of people a ATH A900. Out of the reason that this can don´t need an amp. And if they use one, they use one for 100 Euro.

The Heed CanAmp don´t like Cans with low impedance. The HeadFive would be better. The XCAN v3 likes ATH, too. And it´s a hybrid amp. In this way i would prefer it more.

The BD DT990 is realy something else. But i think you should try for yourself, with amp suites you best. It´s not just a matter of good or bad. The sound of the amp must be one you like. If you can´t check an amp before buying, i would recommend you the XCAN v3 from the 4 you mentioned. One think i like very much at the XCAN v3 is the easy ability to tweak the amp with better parts.

May 26, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

If you look at tubes for bass than you might have to work on the budget a bit more. Low cost tube amps are likely not very good at bass control. A good pair of tubes might run pretty pricey. I would think you're better with the suggestion of the HeadFive.

You might also have a situation with the large gap between the ES7 and the DT990. Some low cost tube amps can be very good with high impedance cans, but can be problematic to ones with low impedance like the ES7.

wink.gif

Quote:

Just a few from top of my head:

HeadFive
X-CAN V2 or V3
Heed Canamp
EC/SS

In order of price increase per my estimate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard a Audio Technica ES7. But i know that the cheaper Audio Technica don´t improve so much with an amp. In my country own a lot of people a ATH A900. Out of the reason that this can don´t need an amp. And if they use one, they use one for 100 Euro.

The Heed CanAmp don´t like Cans with low impedance. The HeadFive would be better. The XCAN v3 likes ATH, too. And it´s a hybrid amp. In this way i would prefer it more.

The BD DT990 is realy something else. But i think you should try for yourself, with amp suites you best. It´s not just a matter of good or bad. The sound of the amp must be one you like. If you can´t check an amp before buying, i would recommend you the XCAN v3 from the 4 you mentioned. One think i like very much at the XCAN v3 is the easy ability to tweak the amp with better parts.

All good advise. Shop used for the low cost audition!

Good luck~

May 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for all the replies dudes. I really appreciate it.
Yeah I kinda had a feeling the ES7 won't benefit much from an amp. Its "just" a $130 headphone with low impedance. Whatever I gain from an amp, its just a bonus, to be used with the ES7 for now. Just to tide me over. Its the DT990 that I'm "worried" about. I'll be using the same amp for the DT990. From what I've read, I think I'll really like those cans, except it has slightly recessed mids. I'm hoping an amp can cure that.

I'll go do some more reading up now.

May 26, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

From what I've read, I think I'll really like those cans, except it has slightly recessed mids. I'm hoping an amp can cure that.

The DT990 has always recessed mids, no matter wich amp you use. That´s the reason, why many prefer the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back