Oh, the memories...
Jan 18, 2010 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

iHelp

500+ Head-Fier
So, this week, at my school, one of my friends had a pair of Skullcandies. He doesn't know I like audio, so I acted dumb by saying "Hey; nice headphones. Are they good?" He replied saying "Yeah, they're ***king awesome". "How much?" "$75." As a true head-fier, I felt so bad for him. Why did he buy these "headphones"? I kinda laughed too, but he didn't notice. In fact, I was lucky he could even hear me. Here's what the headphone looked like:
gi-09-black-print-headphones-glamor.jpg

Some people even have the NC feature on the Beats can complain how it's not getting rid of background noise. Guess what they do? Turn the music louder.
tongue.gif

Actually, this happens a lot. Such as: Beats, Skullcandy, Bose, Sony.

But, one time, I saw someone else wearing the SR80i. I was amazed.

At least some people KNOW audio.

Share your experiences...

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 17
For fear of being drug to an insane asylum, rather than shout at people, (my first, most primal reaction as a spoiled audio snob) I simply grit my teeth and clench my fist until the pain goes away. Ahhhhh... life is tolerable again.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 17
Hahaha.... sometimes I want to grab them off their naive head or give them a lecture about real headphones.... but who has time for that?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For fear of being drug to an insane asylum, rather than shout at people, (my first, most primal reaction as a spoiled audio snob) I simply grit my teeth and clench my fist until the pain goes away. Ahhhhh... life is tolerable again.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 17
I usually have trouble not laughing in the face of people who claim their Skullcandys or whatever are awesome. But whatever floats their boat.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 17
I know many people who rave that Bose are the best sounding speakers around. I usually bite my tongue and laugh inside. I have convinced someone I knew to not buy a Bose speaker system for their living room, and after they did some research they thanked me.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know many people who rave that Bose are the best sounding speakers around. I usually bite my tongue and laugh inside. I have convinced someone I knew to not buy a Bose speaker system for their living room, and after they did some research they thanked me.

I have heard plenty of people say the same thing about how bose is the best. I usually try to set them straight if i know the person very well, and have had decent sucess. Most of my friends know not to get me started on bose or monster cable
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 17
Just what head-fi needs, another hi-fi snobbery thread... Instead of laughing at them behind their backs, why don't you recommend that they get some flashy good sounding Audio-Technicas. ATH-ES7's are less than $75 and they look really nice also.

Sorry if that comes off as being harsh, but these kinds of threads serve no real purpose.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 17
I let some of my students listen to my headphones that I brought to school, rather than shoot down their taste in Skullcandies. They heard and instantly understood why I got into this hobby. Even in their words, they were saying things like "Wow...they're so clear," and "Awesome sound!" They thought that a headphone amplifier was a cool thing...especially the portable ones.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 17
Lots of computer guys think I'm a total idiot for using an ancient Lenovo PC with P4 and integrated graphics ...

I could get a better one, but I'm just not into that hobby. So I don't beat up on people who don't understand my hobby.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of computer guys think I'm a total idiot for using an ancient Lenovo PC with P4 and integrated graphics ...

I could get a better one, but I'm just not into that hobby. So I don't beat up on people who don't understand my hobby.

My sentiments too.

Ignorance is awesome isn't it. They don't know what things could sound like. Just another victim of marketing.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Yes, but these are more relaxing threads.

We don't have to talk about "Headphone vs Headphone" all the time. In fact, this thread is "refreshing", you could say.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if that comes off as being harsh, but these kinds of threads serve no real purpose.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Just what head-fi needs, another hi-fi snobbery thread... Instead of laughing at them behind their backs, why don't you recommend that they get some flashy good sounding Audio-Technicas. ATH-ES7's are less than $75 and they look really nice also.

I usually will try to tell people to do some research and look into other brands if they are in the market for bose speakers or headphones. What I meant was that I have laughed to myself in the past in one instance where my cousin (who loves to brag about everything he has is the best) bought a new bose home theater system and told me it's the best out there. This is one case where I wasn't going to try to tell him otherwise because some people think they are always right no matter what you tell them.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but these are more relaxing threads.

We don't have to talk about "Headphone vs Headphone" all the time. In fact, this thread is "refreshing", you could say.

It's called the Members Lounge.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually will try to tell people to do some research and look into other brands if they are in the market for bose speakers or headphones. What I meant was that I have laughed to myself in the past in one instance where my cousin (who loves to brag about everything he has is the best) bought a new bose home theater system and told me it's the best out there. This is one case where I wasn't going to try to tell him otherwise because some people think they are always right no matter what you tell them.

I agree whole-heartedly! People don't realize that in order to communicate (and even to argue!) you have to speak AND listen.
o2smile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I agree whole-heartedly! People don't realize that in order to communicate (and even to argue!) you have to speak AND listen.
o2smile.gif

LOL i never listen when i communicate, seems to work fine for me so far. In life, the guy who shouts the loudest (or has the biggest gun) wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back