oh noes! eggos broke! no sound from right ear
Feb 1, 2006 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sonick

500+ Head-Fier
somethings wrong with the wire going from the left ear to my right ear.

when i picked it up yesterday and plugged it in, there was intermittent sound when i wiggled the wire, but now its absolutely dead.

does TheSource (ie. radio shack canada) have headphone wire?

from what i remember, headphone wire is different from regular wire, and i found in the past i was not able to get solder to 'stick' to it. are there instructions anywhere to learn how to solder headphone wire?

thanks

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 6
good news, i fixed it!

i scavenged a cable from a pair of old crap headphones (mirai eggo-copycats i purchased for the earpads).

it was quite a bitch putting the headphone together, especially the part where the headband and the adjustment-wire meet.

Feb 2, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 6
Good job, man.
smily_headphones1.gif
Any pictures of your headphone rescue ?
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 6
I had to do the exact same fix to my D77's the other year. The Sony cable gave up in the left ear. I replaced it with a 3.5mm to 2x phono cable and just cut the phono plugs off and fed the wires direct into the left and right cups via a new hole a drilled in the casing. Then just a case of soldering to the driver contacts. I also later replaced the 3.5mm plug with a right-angle one to reduce stress on the headphone socket.

All in all it worked well and my trusty Eggos are still in use today after nearly 8 years of use!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back