Oh no! Will the UM1 replace my K81DJ?
Mar 26, 2007 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KevC

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

My K81DJ are my portable cans. Closed, comfortable, decent and fun sounding. AKG pride =) I'm considering getting a pair of IEMs again. Good isolation, not as bulky (people look at me strangely on the bus/train with my AKG haha), inconspicuous.

I really do like my K81DJ, but if the UM1 are as comfortable as people say they are, I wonder if my K81 will get any use after I purchase them? Which ones sound better? UM1 or K81DJ? I'm planning to use the UM1 on bus/train and gym, and the K81DJ for library use.... but if the UM1 sound better and are more comfortable than the K81DJ, then I can see the K81DJs collecting a lot of dust....

Anyone own both?

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 6
mine is an um2 and it's very comfortable. i sometimes forget i'm wearing the iem. of course the isolation is better. now the but. but, the bass isn't as big, impact and fun as the k81. the mids is better. everything is clean and clear. the high is a pretty good. overall, i like the k81 better. maybe i'm just a headphone lover or i don't like the westone sound

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 6
Lol, the same thing happened to me. I was all fine and dandy with my 700s, but then my e500s came along. I didn't listen to my Ultrasones for weeks. But then they grew on me again. Both my Shures and my Ultrasones have there places in my headphone invintory
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 6
I have both and let me just say that whatever you do, DON'T get rid of your k81! Yes, the um1's are better for portable use; smaller, comfier, isolates more, great built with next to zero microphonics.
But for a fuller, more slammin' sound, I gotta go with the k81. No way will the um1 beat its SQ. So, yeah, keeping the k81 for library use sounds a good idea. In fact, I only use the um1 for traveling. "For everything else, there's k81."
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 6
Well I just sold my K81DJ's after receiving UM2's. However, I believe I only need three headphones. One open portable, one closed portable, and one for home listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back