OH NO!...the Cardas smurf cable is INCREDIBLE!!
Jul 30, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

ouch, now THAT hurts.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm just joking
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I still stand by my belief that the K501 sounds better than the stock HD600!

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #32 of 39
I've had my Cardas cables for over three months now. I have had no problems with the plugs seating in the HD-600 ear pieces. They have never become loose despite my best efforts but neither did the stock pieces either.

The only construction detail that I've wondered about is the point of joinder of the red, black, and blue - but despite my best abuse -yeah I've accidentally yanked the plug out - I've had no problems with them. Of course the "Silent Terminators" did their job. Anyone know what that means? I kind of thought they might use deaf mutes. I think the Equinox has a bigger construction issue with the splice from the stock ear piece connectors.

I've even got used to the color. I still haven't tried the Equinox but the Cardas is clearly better than the Clou Red.

Now if I'd only gotten them a decent length!

Enjoy

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by franktalk
The only construction detail that I've wondered about is the point of joinder of the red, black, and blue - but despite my best abuse -yeah I've accidentally yanked the plug out - I've had no problems with them

I worry about the very stiff "strain relief" on the plug end. It does not flex at all, and I worry that the blue cable will flex in the same place.

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #34 of 39
I wonder if we could convince Cardas to change the color of the cable from blue to black on future versions somehow? I mean, I don't mind the color much on the HD600, but if sennheiser replaces the HD600 with something that doesn't match the blue cable (the light blue "HD600" stickers sort of match the cardas cable), it might be better having a nondescript black version.

Jul 31, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

I don't mind the color much on the HD600, but if sennheiser replaces the HD600 with something that doesn't match the blue cable (the light blue "HD600" stickers sort of match the cardas cable), it might be better having a nondescript black version.

So what is black electrical tape for anyway, if not to "dress up" your expensive cable?
wink.gif
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

But seriously folks, (I've always wanted to say that) What about aftermarket mesh or even heatshrink tubing? Just my $.02 - and with the market these days - it's only worth $.0000175; and falling.

Jul 31, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer

My only complaint is that the 1/4" plug wasn't gold-plated. I wondered how this would impact sound quality until I heard it. Now I couldn't care less about the plugs.

The plug is Rhodium over silver plate, just like their binding posts.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #37 of 39
I'm not usually one for thread bumps after 15 years, but found this thread helpful in deciding whether to order a used "Smurf" cable to try out. It looks like the Smurf was $150 for 3m length around the time this thread was active, and the grey Cross version of the same cable now sells for $285 for a 3m length. Are people still using these with their Sennheiser HD6x0 or have they moved on to the newer boutique cable manufacturers? 

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #38 of 39
  I'm not usually one for thread bumps after 15 years, but found this thread helpful in deciding whether to order a used "Smurf" cable to try out. It looks like the Smurf was $150 for 3m length around the time this thread was active, and the grey Cross version of the same cable now sells for $285 for a 3m length. Are people still using these with their Sennheiser HD6x0 or have they moved on to the newer boutique cable manufacturers? 

Have not moved on, other than when I use a balanced-only amplifier. Picked up the blue for my HD650 sometime in the early 2000s.

Just picked up a grey one recently for an HD600, though I did not know the grey Cross was supposed to be the same as the Blue "Smurf".

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #39 of 39
Got tired of the Blue Stiffy. Replaced it with Toxic Silver poison. Same improvement, just lots more supple. Another good replacement would be Wywires Red headphone cable. See my sig. Wywires on everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back