Oh no! Not another Momentum vs. Amperior Thread!
Jul 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jsilbert95

Head-Fier
Okay disclaimer, I have read a ton about the comparisons between the two and I am trying to figure out something a bit more with my decision, so bear with me.

I am fairly new to audiophilia, having gotten my first serious headphones (senn hd600s) 3-4 years ago, but my current set up is Fischer audio FA003 for semi portable but mostly not at home stationary use (aka the library, train, etc.), the hd600s mentioned above with appropriate amp for home listening, and a (now broken hence the post) pair of amperiors for portable use which I loved before the cords conked out and the band is bent (ran over them with my car while they were in my bag... I know... cringe).

I listen to a very wide range of music from jazz to hip hop to electronic, etc. and hence why I went with the clear, accurate hd 600s for my most serious headphones. However I am a bit of a different person when it comes to music than I was 3-4 years ago. I've gotten quite a bit into electronic sound art, minimalism, IDM (I know...I hate the name too), some experimental hip hop, etc. So I am really concerned with accurate representation of the "color" of sound the artist intended.

However I am also interested in broadening myself as a headphone user, which means trying different types of sound sigs as well as maybe switching up brands (as much as I love senns).

So my issue at the moment is I have a little bit of money <300, and I wanted to replace my amperiors and get a better portable than my fischers (no portable amp btw, only iPhone, computer, and iPod). So I was wondering if I should just get a new pair of the amperiors cuz they treated me so well, or try a warmer signature with the momentums (I also was not in love with the on ear feel, so an over ear portable is very appealing to me).

So as of right now I was pretty content going for the momentums, unless anyone here believes they are a serious downgrade from the amperiors, but I'd also be open to some recommendations of over ear portables with a different sound sig than what I have on my list that would still sort the music I listen to.

Thanks and cheers.

-Jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back