Oh no! New phones options!
Oct 27, 2002 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kintoun

New Head-Fier
I was planning on getting the Sony MDR-V6 and was waiting for a place to get stock. However Amazon has put all their Sennheiser's on sale!

Stick with Sony MDR-V6's for around 65

or get Sennheiser

HD280 Pro 80 shipped
HD570 104 shipped

or another pair of phones from this page

My use for phones:
"Looking to grab a pair of headphones mainly for gaming. To start, got TBSC and BA7800 speakers.

Want best price/performance ratio headphones, preferably within $100. I need em for games mostly, but also late night music. Bass isn't too much of an issue, I'd prefer clarity and good range of sounds but bass would be nice (for music). Closed/open does not matter, but whatever fits the glove better.

As for their positional audio ability, this is what I am looking for the most. Pinpoint imaging/positioning. Not the "general area", but precisness. An example would be in CS. I would need to know if a player is coming around a corner and that they are 2 feet from the corner so that I may time my HS perfectly. Player tracking is also very important. Being able to accurately stare at an opponet without visual cues to where he is. Not only on the left/right plance, but also players moving around on roofs, and good front to rear audio. Beyond-the-speaker Imaging, Floating, Coherent, Strong focus all a major factor.

Audio has always been my form of wallhacking and it has rarely let me down."

Oct 27, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 7
definitely the HD280Pro. the 570 isnt very good for the money. I play CS and i love the 280s for it. they have better soundstage and overall upper frequencies than the V6, and have more isolation. I used to use the V6 sometimes, but now i have the 280.

Oct 27, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 7
Decide now how serious you are about headphones. Purchase of a 280 will only make you wonder "well how good is the 580"? Then "how good is the HD600?

Your best bet is to buy the best headphone you can and skip all the intermediary steps-- it will only cost you more in the long run.

And don't forget the 590! If you don't have an amp (yet) it may be the best choice.

Mark

Oct 27, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 7
Kintoun,

I'm using the 280's at work for music and after hours gaming. I love them for music, paired with my CMoy they sound great. Gaming against players at work playing MOHAA I have a distinct advantage with the 280's because I have much better positional information then they do. I use the advantage alot. I also play alot of UT online and found the same thing. So I would highly recommend the 280's for both applications.

Oct 27, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry Kintoun, a CMoy is a DIY ( do it yourself) amp named after the person who designed it, Chu Moy. You could either build one yourself if your skilled with a soldering iron and know a bit about electronics or you could get JMT to build you one. JMT is a great guy who will walk you through the process and get you what you need within your budget. Altenatively he also builds CHA-47's and Meta42's (also named after the designers). Each have there benefits with the Meta42 being in a league above the CHA-47 and CMoy. If your interested I highly recommend sending JMT a Private Message with your inquiry and he will give you more info.

Oct 27, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh and Congrats on the 280's, hope you like em. Remember to give them lots of time to burn in, I personally found around 100 hours before they were fully there but most people say around 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back